Hello from Van Isle

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Nopp, Jun 26, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Nopp

Nopp New Member

Hello, first post on this website. I haven't managed to ever keep dart frogs, with the closest being raising local chorus frog tadpoles, but I have kept aquariums for about 10 years. And am currently in University in aquatic biology.

After a tragic crack happened on my 125 gallon aquarium a few weeks back I decided to turn it into a paludarium for dart frogs. After all the talk my roomate had about his dart frogs a few years back I became interested enough to do this as an interesting remedy for my tank.
    [​IMG]
    I plan on a ledge built from cork bark flats/tubes around the edge if I can find any smaller local pieces.
    After the substrate and a few more plants (ficus, bromeliads, and some ferns as well as a decent amount of aquatic plants) and bioactive organisms like isopods and springtails. My plan is four Ranitomeya Amazonica "Iquitos" and Amazon fishes (Cardinal tetras, hatchetfish and a trio of dwarf cichlids) to round a Amazon oriented livestock. Definitely the most interesting build I've ever done!

Cheers.

erikm likes this.
  2. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

Welcome! Look forward to seeing this build happen. Paladariums are a challenge but look awesome! Make sure you plan to have some sort of area for the frogs to climb out of the water if they were to fall in. They're not good swimmers.

3. CarsonH

CarsonH Member

Welcome to the board. I'm in Victoria and would love to see what you have got going on when it's complete. Although expensive, the pet store creatures has cork bark. Small pieces though, nothing too eye catching.

That is going to be a very large tank for 4 Amazonica, I started with a 100gal and quickly decided to go down to an 18 18 24 exo Terra. More for the reason of being able to move it once built vs seeing the frogs. I'm sure they would the space.

When your ready to source the frogs, I know there are AmazoniCA on the island.

4. Nopp

Nopp New Member

Thanks, most of the tank will be aquatic so there really is only 20"x17.5" of ground space plus the ledge. I plan on a dwarf nymphea for any possible stranded frogs to take a break from swimming if they are in that situation as well as riccia overhang for climbing. Creatures was planned for my next weekend trip for bark and plants. When I'm not at work I'm basically just looking at the tank and continuing to silicone more tiles on. I plan for a water test tonight to see if the cork decide to float or not.

5. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

welcome to the board looking forward to seeing the build

6. pygmycory

pygmycory Member

Glad to see another person here from Vancouver Island. I'm also brand new to the dart frog hobby. I noticed you talking about Creatures pet store. I happen to work there. If you want a staff person who is interested in dart frogs, Ken is there on monday, or I am there on thursday afternoons. Ken knows a lot more than I do, so he is probably your best bet. My name is Lizzie.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017

Social Sharing