Hello Again... Remember me? I am slowly coming back.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by 41714049, Mar 15, 2018.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. 41714049

41714049 Contributing Member

Hello everyone,

I have been gone for some time and I think it is time to reintroduce myself and give everyone an explanation as to my disappearance.

I have been in the hobby and breeding frogs for over 15 years now with experience working with dart breeders a bit before that. I was quite active in the hobby on here in my late teens / early 20's. Unfortunately, when I was 24, i had to drop out of the hobby for the first time as i was diagnosed with cancer and could not care for my frogs.

Years later I returned. Set up a great in-wall tank (Benedictopia) with an additional wall breeding tanks. A few years after that was all set up, I had to move as my mother had a stroke and was moving away to retire. I followed her to be sure she had family close by. My large tank was destroyed (as per request of new buyers of our house) as it could not fit out of the basement.

My frogs went with me and we moved to a house that needed extensive renovation - nothing worked. A year of hard work later most was done - but then we had a fire. It appears a previous owner had made some bare wire junctions in a wall and an electrical fire started in the basement. We lost some personal items and part of the kitchen, but we were OK. The bad news, all of the frogs were in the basement. Although there was no fire in their area, I lost all of the frogs due to the fumes / heat.

I know some people know I had a few special species in my collection and I was heart broken when I lost them so I decided to step away. The next year didn't prove to be any better - wife wasn't working and we had 4 family members pass away within a year. It was just bad luck.

This year my uncle - who was pretty much like my dad, my fishing buddy, and my best friend committed suicide. That was hard. He always came to see my frogs and watch them... I went to see is reef tanks and watch those. I was going to start getting back into the hobby in a few years, but after this I think it will be good to start planning now and get my mind moving toward an enjoyable project. I don't plan on being super active yet on the forums, but you will likely see me.

Thank you everyone for the support over the years and my apologies for disappearing. When I get everything built and get my collection going again I will be working with only a few select species (don't ask yet as anyone who knows me I keep my secrets well).

I am working on drafting out the plan for my basement office that I will post a topic in the construction category the same ways I did with my Benedictopia build... slowly, little bits at a time.

In preview of that, I will give you all something to think about... rough plan... 12 tanks nearly 2800 gallons total.

Thanks again!

2. Carlos

Carlos Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about everything that has happened over the last few years. Welcome back and let me know if I can help in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41714049 likes this.
  3. 41714049

Thanks... just hoping to contribute again to the hobby.

4. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

Hey Jan,

I'm so sorry to hear everything you and your family have gone through in the past few years. I can't begin to imagine how to deal with all of that.

I'm glad you are making a come back in to the hobby and Canadart. Very excited to see what you pick to work with :) I saw the benedictopia build in the flesh, so I know what you are capable of and 2800 gallons total sounds pretty amazing!

Keep us posted with your progress!

5. 41714049

Thank you.

6. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

You've been missed Jan.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

41714049, afterdark and erikm like this.
  7. bbjoeys

bbjoeys Contributing Member

Welcome back Jan! Thanks for sharing your story and we are all here for you!

41714049 likes this.
  8. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

Welcome back Jan. Hope the future treats you better then the recent past. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

41714049 likes this.
  9. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

It was good talking with you the other night. When you are ready I can help you out and I am sure many others here on the forum can do the same. Good to have you back old friend.

Ron.

41714049 and erikm like this.
  10. 41714049

Thanks everyone for the kinds words and the warm welcome! Look forward to getting back in to this.

Social Sharing