hawaian auratus

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by Drew, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

i know that the auratus has been introduce to hawaifor over 60 years. my question is does any one know if they have retained their poisonious qualities?

2. Drew

i guess no one knows , guess i'll check next time im in hawaii.

3. xavier

xavier Contributing Member

Hi Drew,

I am not sure but I would imagine they have kept their poison. I bet you can find same or similar insects in central and south America as in Hawaii.

Cheers

Xavier.

4. Tarolisol

Tarolisol Contributing Member

What causes them to lose theie poison? Why arnt captive breed ones poisonous?

5. Drew

most people attribute their poison to diet, so that's why i asked if anyone knew if the hawaiian auratus' kept their poison because they are an introduced species (not from hawaii) and as such have a different diet.

6. Tarolisol

Very interesting, i wonder what they eat that makes them poisonous. And if i go to hawaii in the next couple of months ill find one rub it on my face maybe take a bit outa it and tell ya if its poisonous. 8) Or if i dont ever post again assume its poisonous :lol:

7. xavier

xavier Contributing Member

taro that was funny :lol:

Cheers
    XAvier

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Drew thats a very interesting question , and I hope we can find a reply . Would an example be ,, P.terribilis which is one of the most poisonous creatures on earth , found in coloumbia,, what makes it more poisonous then another species of dart frog found in the same local or region ? If the diet is much the same then what makes one more toxic then the next :?:

9. Drew

excellent point zoso, i wonder if terribilis' just metabolize their food more efficiantly or if they have a slightly different diet

10. Tarolisol

Now theres something that doesnt make sence frogs from the same area with the same food, but ones more poisonous then the others.

On a side note why is phiolobytes illegal in alberta and no where else?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

maybe too many Rednecks???
    j.k.
    :lol:

Carmel

12. Tarolisol

There also seems to be alot of calgarians involved in darts alot more then i thought a couple months ago atleast. Does anyone in calgary breed and of theres?

13. delphinus

delphinus Member

What's a phiolobyte?

14. Tarolisol

Well i spelt that pretty wrong, i meant Phyllobates.

15. delphinus

delphinus Member

After some digging I figured out you mean Phyllobate... :oops: :p

So I dug some more and came across some rather awful-to-read legislation... I can't be sure I'm interpreting this right, but it seems as if Alberta has it's own "endangered species" provisions within its own wildlife act. Phyllobates are the only species listed under the category for "poison dart frogs."

Thus the only thing I can speculate is that it would somehow fall under this category and that possession wouldn't be allowed. But here's the thing, how can this be regulated? If the frogs are allowed in other provinces, what is there to stop someone from driving over from BC or Saskatchewan or something, or shipping them from, say, Ontario? There's no "Alberta customs" clearing so I don't think it's enforcable from a practicality perspective, which makes me think that maybe it's not true to say it's illegal to have them within Alberta. Unless I'm missing something here. Sean, where did you hear it originally? I'd kind of like to poke at this some more just for my own edification...

BTW here is the wildlife act I was reading (it's VERY brutally long BTW ... )
    http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/Documents/REGS/1997_143.CFM

It kind of makes me wonder if it falls into the same mystical law that regulates things like Caymans and turtles and such. Some people say it's illegal to sell these things in Alberta. I know that I've seen people who have these things but I have never ever seen them for sale in this province. But under what category would this be regulated? It can't be CITES, since you can see turtles for sale in the U.S. and so on (and they most certainly subscribe to the CITES treatises). So there must be some additional legislation in place that governs this. I don't know whether it's that big long thing I just posted the link to, or whether it's something else.

Anyhow if anyone has any further information on this topic I would like to hear it.

16. Tarolisol

I heard it from mark at understory, i was interested in these frogs but i guess he wont ship them since they are illegal. Albertra has some wierd regulations. Doesnt make much sence to me. I wonder if captive breed frogs would still be included in this legislation? I want my terriblis.(sp?).

17. Drew

two words for yeah tarolisol "road trip". just drive here pick some up and drive home :lol: im just joking

18. Tarolisol

Thats one heck of a road trip, i think it would be faster to drive down to the states.

19. Drew

yeah that's true but no borders to navigate,
    maybe you've got a grandma or something that lives in a province next door. get the frogs shipped there and drive them home

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Tarolisol

@ one time ALL Dendrobates where controled by Alberta Fish&Wildlife. When I spoke with Pat Young (from AB F&W) he gave me no reason for the frogs being controled, other than them being toxic. The subject seem to make him nervous! Anyway I think it is a bad idea. If they(AB F&W) found out that PDF hobbyists where SMUGLING Phyllobates into Alberta, they might just decide to make ALL Dendrobates controled again.

James
    P.S. If you wonder how they might find out, don`t forget you are on a PUBLIC forum. And it takes just one persones actions to ruin things for all of us in AB :( That would suck!

Social Sharing