Having trouble getting flies in Okanagan(BC)

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by Bugz, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Bugz

Bugz New Member

Hey guys,
    My frutflies crashed a while ago and I've spent over 200 dollars trying to buy flies for my little frogs with very poor results. A local guy who sold me 'producing' cultures, but there was not enough flies to feed the frogs twice. I ordered from a company in Alberta more recently but after spending all week with canada post, I recieved stinky rotten cultures completely dead hydei..and a few melo's survived, but not enough to feed, let alone start new cultures.I'd like to give up, but my frogs deserve better. I'm in Kelowna BC if you can help...please message me

2. CarsonH

CarsonH Member

Do you have a yard? and zuchinni? you can make micro fauna traps with large zuchinni or other squash by placing large chunks flesh down on the ground, cover in leaf litter, water, wait... you could get springs and isos, and other small critters

edit: you should place the traps in areas that havew some moisture. or were moist the longest into this dry dry weather

3. Bugz

Bugz New Member

Hey CarsonH,

Thank you for the suggestion! I've been trying to collect microfauna from tall grass with a net, but I think this will work better. I was even harvesting mosquito eggs to raise larvae with some success..

Social Sharing