Fruit Fly Apocalypse!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by NJH, Sep 27, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. NJH

NJH New Member

So....besides apple cider vinegar any other ideas? I think my house is being overrun by Fruit flies. And what do you do with all the extras? I have way too many for my 6 Varadero's. I bought my frogs about 3 weeks ago but haven't seen one of them in a few days, should I be worried or do you think he is just being elusive.

Any thoughts suggestions or perspectives are appreciated.

2. Vincetomeya

Vincetomeya Member

Throw a small piece of banana in the viv, it keeps them in the viv abit longer. Don't keep the apple cider vinegar too close to a viv, as it may attract them out.
    Let the viv grow in and the frogs should come out more as more hiding spots build up. Just make sure they aren't hiding because humidity is too low.
    Best way to use up more flies....get more frogs! Haha

erikm likes this.
  3. NJH

NJH New Member

Good Morning,

Thought I should put a better introduction here as my blurb last night sounds like the rantings of a crazy person.

I have wanted a frog for over 10 years since I went into my chiropractors office and he had a vivarium set up, but it wasn't good timing to get into a new hobby. Then earlier this year we found that a lizard had snuck into our luggage and was running around our house. I quickly bought an exo terra tank on kijiji and thought it would be a great home for him. But alas he pulled a houdini and disappeared. After looking at the tank for a week or 2 I decided now was the time. I started researching the crap out of designing a great vivarium. There are some amazing people out there with crazy beautiful designs. I then bought some spray foam and got to work. I built the structure for R. Imitator Varadero's, or at least that was the goal and then once it was planted sat around hoping it would cycle...when I saw bromeliad roots growing I figured I had something right. I am incredibly grateful to all the seasoned veterans who spend time answering questions for us newbies on these forums!!! Great big round of applause for you all!!! Once I got the frogs in there I was happy to see them using the entire tank top to bottom :) I've named them after the ghostbusters even though I know some of them may be girls. So far Winston, Slimer, Janine and Ray like to show themselves the most. the other 2 I see sleeping in the brom but not usually hopping around.

So even though I only plan to have 1 tank the hubby is already asking about setting up another tank ;) I think he has caught the frogging bug...is that a fruit fly? LOL!

Entriquit and bbjoeys like this.
  4. NJH

NJH New Member

Thanks for your advice! I'll move the dish. I've caught over 50 in there already, I think I am feeding my frogs too much. I think I'm ok on the humidity there is always some water in the bromeliads and the lower base layer of balls usually has a trace amount of humidity on the glass. I'm a bit worried about heat. Looks like during the day when the lights are on the tank gets up to 26 degrees, I have the exo top on the tank with 2 6500k florescent bulbs...any thoughts?

Thanks!

5. Carlos

Carlos Contributing Member

Great to hear that you’ve joined the site. Lots of great people and advice here. Just ask away and someone will help you out.

6. Vincetomeya

Vincetomeya Member

That temp works, I wouldn't let it get any warmer than that. Separate the light housing from the viv with a little space to let some airflow if anything.
    The banana holding flies out in the open will also help with seeing frogs.

NJH and erikm like this.
  7. NJH

NJH New Member

Both things worked, my temp is holding around 23 now and I saw all 6 frogs this morning :) One is really shy.

Vincetomeya likes this.
  8. AbraxasComplex

AbraxasComplex Member

One other suggestion. If you can find a source grab the Drosophila melanogaster "Golden Delicious" variety. They have been bred to have no wings, white eyes, and a golden body. It makes them easier to spot on dark substrate. Also with this highly inbred variety there is one con and a huge pro that makes up for it. The con is that they don't produce as many eggs as other varieties, but with 6 frogs you should be fine. The biggest pro is that they are so inbred that they seem to have lost most of their instincts. They do not immediately try to climb out of the tank or towards the light and tend to chill on the substrate and leaves. This makes it so you have a lot less escapees and they get consumed faster.

I have them in Vancouver after getting a couple bugs in an invertebrate order from the US and they were thrown in the containers as food. I snatched them up once I realized what variety they were and started culturing them and have sent them to others across the country. Hopefully you'll find some near you. :)

9. Entriquit

Entriquit New Member

Hi, welcome @NJH. I am new here myself as well :)

10. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

I have the true No Wing Melo's and also have Golden Hydei if you are looking for any? They are a great source to feed especially on days when you don't vitaminize so the flies won't be white and harder to see in darker areas of the tank. I love then feeding with the golden flies as they are easy for the frogs to see.

Ron.

11. highvoltagerob

highvoltagerob Member

Another tip for your next viv is to replace the exo terra screen top with a glass top. A lot of flies get out around the screen top, and the glass also helps keep humidity up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Social Sharing