Foam Background Issue - Uncured liquid bubble

Discussion in 'Construction & Parts' started by SyrupOnEverything, Jan 27, 2017.

  1. SyrupOnEverything

    SyrupOnEverything Member

    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Calgary
    Hi all,

    I recently started a new vivarium build and I've run into a bit of an issue. I've used the expanding foam sparingly before to create a few ledges and it's worked well, but this is my first time trying to do a full foam background, so I'm hoping someone with some more experience using the foam can give me some insight.

    Anyway, I applied the foam a few days ago and left the terrarium laying on it's back while it dried. I had purposely put it on a little thick in some areas with the idea that I could carve it back to exactly where I wanted it. However, when I tipped it back up this morning I noticed that while the outside has dried hard, one of the thicker areas has a spot against the back glass that has not dried, but instead looks like the stuff has kind of separated out and there is a bubble of liquid resin trapped there.

    So, has anyone experienced this before? I have two theories: One is that I just put it on too thick and the outside layer cured before the inside could dry properly. Two is that the can of foam I used was about 11 months past it's "best before" date (I didn't notice this until it was too late), and the age has degraded it's performance. And of course there is always the possibility that it is a combination of the two factors. Does anyone have any other ideas what might cause this?

    So now I'm wondering what my options are. Do you think it will dry eventually if I leave it long enough? Or am I going to have to cut that area out and redo it? I'm also considering trying to drill a few holes through the hardened part into the bubble area to get some air in there to help it dry.

    Any insight would be much appreciated!
     
  2. erikm

    erikm Administrator Staff Member

    Messages:
    882
    Likes Received:
    521
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Location:
    Burlington, ON
    Definitely could be an issue due to it being expired. I've used pretty thick amounts of spray foam and I've never had a problem like that. I would drill through it into the bubble and let it dry for a while longer
     
  3. SyrupOnEverything

    SyrupOnEverything Member

    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Calgary
    Ok, thanks. I've been looking through some build threads and it seems like lots of people have applied it just as thick or thicker than I did without issue, so it probably is the fact that it was expired. I only bought the can about a month ago which is why I didn't think to check the date beforehand, but it was obviously sitting on their shelf or in a warehouse somewhere for a long time.

    I will drill some holes tonight when I get home and report back in a day or two with the results.
     
  4. dawndj

    dawndj Contributing Member

    Messages:
    719
    Likes Received:
    233
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    calgary
    I would bet it is due to the foam being expired. It does seem to effect it negatively.
     
  5. BCMosaic

    BCMosaic Member

    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    It happened to me and I truly think that its because it was sprayed on too thick. Remember, its for filling in cracks in windows and doors and not for building backgrounds in vivs.
    I ripped off the hardened topping and scrapped the wet stuff out as best as I could and reapplied a new application of foam. No further issues.
    Cheers
     
  6. greenoasis1

    greenoasis1 Contributing Member

    Messages:
    871
    Likes Received:
    609
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Location:
    Toronto
    SyrupOnEverything,Did you add silicone to the glass prior to foaming?

    This should help in any peeling away from the glass in the future.
     
  7. SyrupOnEverything

    SyrupOnEverything Member

    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Calgary
    Just a quick update if anyone is interested:

    I tried drilling holes through the foam, which helped a little. Except the uncured stuff kept expanding into the holes and sealing them off again and the deepest part of the bubble stayed liquid. After drilling and redrilling multiple holes, I ended up just cutting away a large portion of the foam, scraping away the uncured stuff, and applying a new layer. It's possible it was a combination of using expired foam and putting it on too thick, but it may have just been too thick, as the uncured part was in the deepest section. Next time I will be checking the dates on the can and applying it in thinner layers.

    Phil I did not use silicone first, but it wasn't so much a problem of the foam peeling away, it was just a section of the foam that wasn't drying.
     
    erikm likes this.

Social Sharing