first dart frog vivarium

Discussion in 'Vivarium General' started by pygmycory, Sep 17, 2017.

1. pygmycory

pygmycory Member

So, here's my first dart frog vivarium on the left side of the photo.

Attached Files:

2. pygmycory

pygmycory Member

It is a rather odd-looking thing. This is not my first vivarium, just my first frog vivarium. It is two vivariums inside one 18x18x24in Exoterra, each approximately 12x18x18in.

The one on the left is for thumbnail dartfrogs, the one on the right is for my crested gecko. They are very thoroughly sealed, as you can see by the fact there's water in the false bottom on the dart frog side and not on the gecko side, and this continues all the way to the ceiling, as I don't want fruit flies getting out of the darts viv and into the geckos - and even more obviously I don't want thumbnail frogs or potential froglets becoming dinner for the gecko. The top is screen on the gecko viv, and much more enclosed on the frog side. I've left about an inch of fine netting over the screen for airflow, with the rest covered in food-grade hard plastic. LED lighting, a betta heater in the false bottom to keep the frogs a bit warmer than my cold basement suite. The gecko has a low-wattage heat lamp on her side, which will also keep things a little warmer in there than would otherwise be the case. I'm currently monitoring the temperature and humidity and experimenting a little, since there doesn't seem to be too much info on heating frogs without heating the room they are in. My living room does not have a door, and my landlady would prefer I didn't make impromptu alterations to the house, so heating the room isn't really an option.

Social Sharing