Feeding aphids

Discussion in 'Food & Feeding' started by RCFA, Sep 11, 2016.

1. RCFA

RCFA Member

I have a pretty close to organic garden that I grow vegetables for my family and several plants have lots of aphids on them. Has anyome tried feeding aphids to frogs? I'm worried that they may not get eaten and start to multiply in my tanks. Should I try placing an infested leaf in one tank and see how it goes?

2. Ethan A

Ethan A Contributing Member

I tried feeding aphids to some of my frogs once, and had no problem; I have read that some people culture them for frogs using garden peas (apparently they make a good food source!). I'd give it a shot and see if the frogs like them.

3. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

If you are worried about them multiplying in your tanks do you have any juv.'s in shoe box containers or grow out tanks? I did that in the past and the juv.'s loved eating them but did find some left behind because they stopped moving and were overlooked. If so try to feed them where you won't have to worry about them getting a foothold in a nicely planted tank. Since they are slow movers and if undisturbed really hardly ever move your frogs may not find them and you can have an outbreak in the tank and then possibly have to strip it down. Just a thought try feeding offspring in a not nicely planted tank and see how that goes.

Ron.

4. RCFA

RCFA Member

Thanks Ron. That was my main concern and I like the idea of the shoebox for grow outs. I have a few of those that I will try out and see how it goes. I really don't want to have aphids take over the plant room or frog tanks so I'll try to keep them isolated.

Adam

Social Sharing