Fan or no fan

Discussion in 'Vivarium General' started by PKwan, Oct 4, 2017.

1. PKwan

PKwan Member

Hi all,

I want to prepare a new terra and I wonder if I am going to put a fan. I was wondering about the benefits and the drawbacks.
    On one picture from the forum, I think the fan was inside the terra. I was thinking the best location was to put it to push air from outside to inside.

So what to you think about using a fan?

2. BraedenW

BraedenW Member

In my opinion fans are very beneficial to both the plants and any fauna you have inside the viv. I recommend placing it inside the enclosure and there are many ways you can successfully do this which I will get to in a moment. The reason I recommend placing the fan inside the tank is because you will be circulating the humid air inside, rather than drawing dry air from outside the tank and forcing it in.

For my tanks, I drill two 2 inch holes near the back of the lid and cover them with a fine screen mesh (you can also create a 2 inch wide screen insert that will span the width of your tank). This allows passive airflow to move through the tank from the vents under the doors and the ventilation holes. Now for fan placement, I create a ventilation shaft out of corrugated plastic so that the fan is not visible. I do this as part of the hardscape and then cover it with foam, silicone, and then my background mix so that it blends in with the rest of the tank. The fan is placed inside the shaft so that it draws cool air from the bottom of the tank and blows it out at the top replicating air convection.

Here's the link to my most recent viv build which shows how it looks. http://www.canadart.org/threads/o-sylvatica-paru-my-dream-project.13633/#post-69125
    (I really need to take updated pics of it though and will try to this weekend)

Other members, such as @erikm, have a housing for the fan and attach it to the top of their lid. If you checkout his R. fantastica 'True Nominal' thread and care sheet you can see pictures of his setup.

Both methods work great, you just have to pick and choose what will work best for you.

Hope that helps!

Entriquit and erikm like this.
  3. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

BraedenW likes this.
  4. PKwan

PKwan Member

Thank you Braden and Eric for your accurate posts; I am definitively convinced that I need a fan. I must now modify my set up...My hardscape is quite completed and I will try to deal with it...
    Concerning the 2 inches holes, I initially planned to drill them at the front to try to avoid humidity on the front glass (for a better view), but I am not sure anymore.

5. Carlos

Carlos Contributing Member

I use fans but differently then mentioned above.
    I have small screen vents at the front of my vivs and place a fan on top of the glass lid past the vents and have the fan blowing away from the vents. For me I like to keep the inside of my vivs clean with no extra hardware. (Besides misting nozzles)
    The fans just help pull air through the vents. It’s not sucking air out and they are set on a timer and run a few times a day.
    Not saying my way is better at all it just seems to work for me.

I should also mention that my vivs are built into racks/cabinets and the fans help with cooling the lights.

erikm likes this.
  6. PKwan

PKwan Member

Thanks for all the information. Here is my camouflage fan. It is working well. A last question, are your fans working all the time ? IMG_3907_2.jpg

7. erikm

Nope. My fans only go on 3 times per day for 30 mins at a time.

8. Alpha Reptile

Alpha Reptile Member

Where did you buy the fan setup erik?

9. erikm

Dendroboard member named hydrophyte

Social Sharing