Ever seen a blue Leucomelas or yellow Auratus? Well hopefully u have never before or will again!

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by Jefficus, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Jefficus

Jefficus Member

I’ve come to realize that an 800 sq ft condo is no longer suitable for my frogkeeping and therefore I will be selling everything off! But the 1st stage will be to find a responsible herp keeper to take on an accidental hybrid group of 5 darts.

Let me start by saying in NO way support cross breeding (for all the known reasons of maintaining species integrity)! This was an unexpected & dumb accident that I learned even a short term mixing can result in unwanted hybrids.

As happened to me about a year ago when I thought it would be ok to keep a lone male Leucomelas in a 48” wide tank with some Super Blue Auratus for a few days while I rebuilt his tank in anticipation of some new arrival mates for him. I never thought he would be interested or even get opportunity to mate with the female. And I didn’t realize they even did until out a batch of 5 tads one started to colour up as yellow.

Not having the heart to cull them as was my own fault (and no visible disabilities were present) I accepted the responsibility of keeping them segregated and to themselves. And I hate to admit it but they yellow guy is rather cool looking lol. But please do not ever try this yourself! There is a ton of info online as to the problems that occur from doing so.

And as I said initially, I have decided to no longer keep frogs due to space issues. I’ve greatly enjoyed caring/breeding them for many years and it would be a different story if I lived in a house! And to that end, I 1st need to deal with rehoming this hybrid group to a reputable & experienced keeper who can provide them a tank to live out their lives in peace and harmony amongst themselves.

In terms of compensation I’d be open to bids from reputable members only please. Wasn't sure if this should be posted in Marketplace if I am re-homing based on offers?

DSC_3421.jpg

DSC_3425.jpg

Once this group has been re-homed & I sell my remaining Super Blue Auratus juries & breeding group, I’ll be able to sell sell off some tanks & supplies.

Thanks al lot for your understanding & consideration.

2. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

The big problem here is that the next 'experienced keeper' is potentially going to do the same thing as you are doing now. Then a few years down the line they will end up with 14 year old Johnny, who has no idea they are hybrids. You have no control over these frogs once they go to other keepers, so you have only accepted responsibility for these frogs temporarily.

If you really want to accept responsibility, keep or euthanize the hybrids and sell the rest of your frogs. I'm quite surprised you would even consider asking for someone to pay for these.

I'm sure many will not agree with my opinion, but I am a passionate hobbyist and not keeping different species together is rule #1. Own your mistake.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  3. afterdark

afterdark Administrator Staff Member

I am with Erik on this one. Letting them out of your care is irresponsible.

Would you have euthanized if the frogs had come out with 'visible disabilities'?

This is not the snake hobby, and you obviously know that these frogs will not be viewed in a positive light by the majority of hobbyists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Jefficus

Jefficus Member

Not looking for lectures here obviously.
    Only reason I am asking for compensation is to weed out the issues who just want to resell them into the trade. Was hoping to find someone with history of ethical responsible keeping that may just want a group of frogs without any interest in breeding and reselling. Yes If I have to euthanize if I do not find a responsible keeper then I will do so if need be.

5. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

You might find someone who you think is a responsible keeper and they maybe one but down the road if something happens to them (dies etc...) and someone else has to deal with all their possessions they will not know or care that they are hybrids and the frogs then get sold or even given away they will end up in the hobby. I am not saying this will happen but after they are gone nobody knows what will happen to them and you no longer have control over what happens to them. As it stands right now you do. I hate to euthanize frogs and I understand but unless you keep just those till they pass away I think you already know the only right decision you should make. I am not going to lecture you but just wanted to show after they leave you there is no control of what happens to them in the future. What you were looking for was best case scenario but once they leave you anything can happen.

Best.
    Ron.

afterdark and dawndj like this.
  6. Jefficus

Jefficus Member

Hi Ron,
    The possible death of the keeper occurring before the life of their frogs that also did not have anyone at all close to them know their frogs' needs and then them going to someone who ends up breeding them and reselling seems rather a stretch to me to be honest. The same could be said for me that if my frogs outlived me, but I do appreciate your concerns.
    I knew that despite my best efforts this post would cause controversy but it'll be worth it if it means these frogs get to live out their lives in peace. Have to try at least!
    And as I said a few times, I am willing to terminate if it comes to it.
    Thanks.

Social Sharing