Escudo

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by 41714049, May 12, 2008.

1. 41714049

41714049 Contributing Member

Got some escudo a while back from Mark Pepper. I have 2 proven pairs and have seen both transporting tads. Not too many pics yet, but here you go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is a bad pic (macro lens was broken at the time) of one female transporting.

[​IMG]

2. Max Power

Max Power Member

Amazing frogs and pics, I think escudos might be my next frog.

3. 41714049

Just got an update at the tank... dont know where she put that first tad... but found 2 more!

Here is a pic of mommy and one of the babies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. -RPN-

-RPN- Legendary Member

Very cool pics Jan! Almost looks like she is looking out for you over her bright eyed tad. Is that in a film cup?

5. 41714049

Yup dropped 2 of in 2 film cups by the door of the viv.

6. Christian

Christian Member

Hi Jan,

Really cool frog, I have receive mine this saturday and the male is calling already, I was supposely have them this winter but because of a litlle snow Mark din't come :wink: . They are really sweet the one that you have, a lot of red. What is your terrarium size? I kept mine in a new tanks so not a lot of plant, they have to grow. 24inch large, 24 inch tall and 20 deep, T5 and misting system.

Christian

7. vignolo

vignolo Member

Hi,

Sweet frogs and I like they way they stand on leave. I have a beginner question... Is it D. Escudo or a morph of a specie?

Show your viv !

Thanks
    PL

8. phrakt

phrakt Member

It's Dendrobates pumilio Escudo de Varagas

9. 41714049

I have them in a 16x18x24 acrylic with custom backgrounds large broms, t-5 lights and misting... also many fil canisters.

10. Dart_King

Dart_King Member

Hi there, if i have a 20" by 20" cube acrylic with t5 lighting, a misting system, many film canisters,many bromeliads, and other hiding/laying sites. Do you think i can have them as a my first frogs?, i am experienced with feeding and stuff... also if you think they will dye with me,could you tell me why?

thanks

11. crazy_boarder_dude

crazy_boarder_dude Contributing Member

If im not mistaken each frog is $200-$300 I believe. Dont know if you want to spend that much for a first frog? :wink:

12. Christian

Christian Member

If you want a pumilio for fisrt frog, I will suggest the nancy. I have more experience with them and they seem really hard pumilio and agressive feeder. The Escudo are to new for me so I don't know if they will be ok.

Pumilio eat really small so you have to be prepare, this is the real problem with pum and the escudo are really small and for a pum. Stunning but really small.

Jan you make really good picture, I try but don't have the patience.

13. Dart_King

Dart_King Member

Actually the Nancys are my favourite frgs :), so do you think i will be ok with them? mayby a breeding pair? What are the expectations forthese Pumilios?

14. Christian

Christian Member

1- I don't know if you will be ok with nancy or other frogs, I don't know you. (this is not negative but my english is not so good, hope you understand what I am saying).

You what to buy a pair of pumilio, I was sharing my experience. Pumilio are said to be hard to kept, personnally I think that it is not true. A lot of person have lost wild cut pum and I think that they reputition become of that. I know that Nancy are hard, but perhaps that my pair.

If you have food, misting system, ligth and temps I don't know why you have to begin with other frog. I think that tumb are really more dificult to kept. (they are so fast). You have to kept in mind that mistake happen and at 200-300$ the frog that hurt and every body make them. Frog and reptiles are to separete thing, frog can die really fast.

Breeding is a other subject, thumb are more easy that pum.

15. Dart_King

Dart_King Member

well really i dont care for breeding, i just love Pumilos (especially the Nancys), and i will have a misting system, good temps, and food, also many hiding spots, so ithink i will be ok....

Social Sharing