Eggs

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by MartyA, Jan 14, 2007.

1. MartyA

MartyA Contributing Member

Hey Ron,

Im using boiled peat moss water and mixing it at a ration of about 1:3 with aged tap water. Once in a blue moon when I get leuc eggs I have used this water setup with no problems. Im actually starting to cheat right now with the vents and have placed about 12 additional rearing sites for the adults within the tank. All of them are filled with tads atm so hopefully the parents will be doing a better job than I did.

I dont know if you guys remembered but I mentioned I left one tad for the parents to raise and... well he made it SLS free... so im going to try a new method for rearing vent tads I guess...

Ill get a pic up in a bit.

2. MartyA

MartyA Contributing Member

Photo of the little gaffer...

[​IMG]

3. Christian

Christian Member

What a wonderful frog...

4. syble

syble Contributing Member

sorry but whats sls? and how is it aquired and treated? I'm under the impression that its to do with calcium?
    Sib :?

5. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

SLS is spindly leg syndrome. There are many theories as to how it is caused and possibly there are a few things that cause it. To my best knowledge it is due to diet of adults/ diet of tads or a combo of both and I have only had it once when I used non Calciumated R.O. water. If you run your R.O. water through Dolomite you will be adding not only Calcium but also Magnesium and Magnesium is crutial in the absorption of Calcium. That is why you see Vit.'s with Calcium/Magnesium and or Calcium/D3 as both aid in the absorption and utilization of Calcium.

General thoughts are there is something missing in the diet of the parents or the tad food for the tads. Also from young pr.s of thumbnails this can happen. I have never had this problem with young parents but I have heard of others having it with young breeders.

I hope this helps a little. Best to cover all bases and change feeding for adults and tads and see if that makes any difference plus water with Ca. in it or well aged tap water has a fair amount of Ca. in it.

Best.
    Ron Jung at RAINFOREST DESIGNS UNLTD.

6. TropicalJewels

TropicalJewels Member

SLS?

Marty

Congratulations on the successful froglet. He's/She or it is a beauty!

You can add me to your list as well...LOL

Sib

So nice to see you here again!:)

Ron

Although there are a lot of possible causes for SLS. In my own experience, I find extreme temps most noticeably results in SLS. If my tad tanks get below 70F (21C) at night then I have SLS occurrences. Also temps that are too high. You mentioned in our last discussion, you keep your tads at 80F (26.6C). Is that a 24 hour temp level or do you have a cool down at night?

SLS can be most readily identified at the near morph and morphing stage. In most cases the front legs are underdeveloped and cannot support the weight of the froglet. It cannot lift its upper body to feed. The best course of action is to dispose of these as soon as you identify them. I noticed also, that the SLS near morph tads and froglets have a gout like condition under the chin. It looks swollen in comparison to the others.

I did get a 2 month old froglet from another breeder that had a very mild case of SLS. At first I noticed it had a strange gait as it walked. Very much like a dog with hip Dysplasia . As it grew the abnormality became more evident. It was the hardest working frog I had! As soon as those flies hit the tank he was always the first one there:) I couldnt flush him because he tried so hard. He did manage to make it a year before becoming weakened. His hop was erratic so he upended in the water and couldnt get himself out.

I dont think there is any treatment for SLS and the froglets are best culled

Perry

7. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

It was too bad you got a mild sls froglet from a breeder. That is just wrong. I didn't know that Temp. could also cause it as my frog room only fluctuates slightly as in the winter I have a 1000 W baseboard heater to keep the temps even. In the summer of course I turn it off and the temp goes up and down a bit from the lights.
    You are also correct there is no cure for sls, and yes any frogs have it should be put down. :cry: . Breeders should never try and sell frogs like that, it is just wrong and hard for the person who gets it. If a person knowingly sells froglets like that nobody should buy from them again. There are enough good honest breeders here and ones that sell sls even mild form should be avoided.

Best.
    Ron.

8. syble

syble Contributing Member

Ah thans for the info guys! Learn something new each day. I'll definately keep an eye out for that. I knid of knew there had to be some inherent problem to watch out for in frogs there is with every other kind of pets, for rabbits its mallacussion. Thanks,
    Sib ;)

Social Sharing