Edmonton newbie

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Toongraeme, Feb 2, 2018.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Toongraeme

Toongraeme Member

Hey everyone! Looking at setting up a viv over the next few months. I’ve kept saltwater reef for over 10 years, but living in a condo prevents venting outside. Frogs have always had me interested, and the wife and I have decided since we don’t have the fish, we’re going to start the frogs!
    We (well I) have our eyes on a 20” x 12” x 16” high glass tank. What’s everyone’s thoughts on this size for a startup?
    Been doing lots of reading and YouTube, my biggest question is where does everyone get their plants, frogs and food from?
    Thanks
    Graeme

2. CarsonH

CarsonH Member

Generally, I think people get all that from others in the community.

Sometimes you can find decent plants at your local nursery, but they will not be able to compete with what other have here to offer.

Best bet is to find a frogger close to you, and see what they have to offer for sale.

Alternatively, wait until spring and most people will ship, and that opens up doors to some amazing collections.

Goodluck on your hunt! It's never ending... :)

Toongraeme likes this.
  3. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

Hi Graeme

I'm Dawn from Jungle Jewel Exotics. We are a home based business based in Calgary. We welcome visitors by appointment. We are currently working with 37 species and morphs of dart frogs. I'm sure we have something that will suit your fancy. We also gave a terrific selection of terrarium appropriate plants. Check us out on Facebook or on our website www.junglejewelexotics.com

We also attended the reptile show in Edmonton that is happening April 21st and 22nd. And I can often offer free delivery to the Edmonton area as well.

Dawn

Toongraeme likes this.
  4. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

With regards to the tank size. I strongly recommend a front opening terrarium similar to the ones from exo terra or zoomed. I can speak from experience, they are much easier to work with. I would suggest starting out with at least an 18" cube for most frogs.

Dawn

Toongraeme likes this.
  5. Toongraeme

Toongraeme Member

Awesome thanks. Have my eye on a 35” x 18” x 35” front opening. Just want something smaller to get into the hobby first. As soon as we move house, the upgrade will arrive.

dawndj likes this.

Social Sharing