Dart list in canada

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by Drew, May 24, 2005.

1. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

here's all the species i've seen available in canada, please add to the list.
    d.auratus
    -hawaiian
    -costa rican
    -Ancon-Hills
    -blue & black
    -Taboga
    -blue-bronze or green-bronze
    -Reticulated
    -microspots - turquoise
    -Pastores
    -nominat

Tinc
    -azureus(if you count them as a tinc morph)
    -giant orange
    -patricia
    -cobalt
    -powder blue
    -citonella
    -alanis
    -blue Sipaliwini
    -Olle Marie
    -Kutari River
    -Brazilian Yellowhead
    -Yellowback
    -Reduced Yellowback Tincts aka Lemon Drops
    -Dwarf French Guianas aka Nomina
    pumilio
    -Isla Bastimentos
    -Blue jeans

thumbs
    -D.ventrimaculatus -Amazonicus
    -D.ventrimaculatus -standard yellow Y
    -D.reticulatus
    -D.reticulatus striped

Terribilis
    -mint

Epipedobates
    -tricolour
    -tricolour -Salvias
    -trivittatus

d. leucomelas
    -reticulated
    -orange banded
    -Squiggly backed Orange

phyllobates
    -Bronze or Copper Vittatus

Epipedobates
    -Azureiventris

D. amazonicus

I realise this in an incomplet list so please add to it

2. Drew

come on 17 view and not one person can add to the list :D

3. Tarolisol

Tarolisol Contributing Member

I would but im haveing a very hard time coming up with anything else offered in canada.

4. Drew

d. leucomelas
    -reticulated

5. xavier

xavier Contributing Member

Pumilio

Blue jeans

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

D. Leucomelas (orange banded)
    D. Auratus(Pastores, nominat)

7. Christian

Christian Member

much more

You can put mantella to...

8. Drew

christian by all means do, but you got to help me with that list.

9. Drew

Fourfrogs, can you send me a pic or a link to a pic of a pastores im unfimiliar with that morph

10. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

Darts in Canada.

OK Drew here are some more

Olle Marie Tinct
    Kutari River Tinct
    Brazilian Yellowhead Tinct
    Yellowback Tincts
    Reduced Yellowback Tincts aka Lemon Drops
    Dwarf French Guianas aka Nominate

Squiggly backed Orange Leucs

Bronze or Copper Vittatus

Epip. Azureiventris

That is all the different ones I have that haven't already been mentioned

Best.
    Ron Jung at RAINFOREST DESIGNS UNLTD.

11. Drew

treefrog just made me aware of the fact that we got D. amazonicus available

12. xavier

Hi Drew who is selling them here in Canada?

Cheers

Xavier

13. beeswaxx

beeswaxx Member

Are we talking in the wild :wink:...
    Kidding...hehe

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My vents are the standard yellow Y vents... not amazonicus. These are the ones Mark and I are offering at Understory Enterprises.

Don't forget Tom Horn line Dendrobates imitator as well. These are without a doubt my favorite frog species on the planet. They are the first thumbnails I ever bred, and I saw countless different populations of them during my trip to Peru with Mark Pepper. These are without a doubt an incredibly variable species.

There are tricolors in Canada as well. The ones Mark and I are offering are from the population known to the hobby as "Salvias."

And don't forget all of the pumilo morphs either. I can think of at least five morphs of these in Canada. I am sure there are other species that should be on the list, though I can't think of them off the top of my head at the moment.

15. Drew

Ryan please elaborate on what a Tom Horn line Dendrobates imitator morphs is, im unfimiliar with that line.
    You also mentioned five pumilio morphs available in canada do tell specifiacllly which ones.
    please tell of them is 'Escuado de Varagues' im in love with those frogs and they are tops on my list of frogs most wanted.

16. Lo)2enz0

Lo)2enz0 Contributing Member

there was a guy from calgary who was importing from germany. well he would go and pick them up and bring them home cause he would go there and make vivariums for people there. he had almost everything you could dream of on his lists.

but to add to the list, 4 years ago someone was selling histrionicus and he ended up selling to a usa customer, took him like 2 days to sell the frogs. And I have seen green sip tinc's, that auratus shipment had god knows how many different morph's/ mixes you could think of.

just a couple of additions

17. Drew

so are these frogs still available Lo)2enz0? Cause histrionincus' are a tad on the illegal side are they not?

18. Lo)2enz0

Lo)2enz0 Contributing Member

they were LTC and that was 4 years ago so chances are they are dead by now. But these guys were imported out of columbia but yes chances are they were illegals. When ever you see someone with lehmanii or histrionicus no point in judging them, hey if the come in with wholesalers, get them out of there asap. In my opinion its wrong in some cases for collecting them from teh wild but since they are, i would rather give them a nice home instead of them having to be cramped at some wholesaler warehouse.

But the guy I was talking about his name was jared wolfe, never got a chance to deal with him since he would go to europe for months at a time. this guy had everything on his list, Ron might have his old website still.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hola Amigos,

I hear my name being mentioned, so I have to say hello, and guide you guys a bit on your info source... Well, yes, I have made several short trips to Germany and Holland, picking up countless Captive bred species from my buddies/contacts out there. I would usually go out to the German FrogDays, and hand carry a bunch of these beautiful jewels back to Canada (always legally with all CITES docs). However, I actually never was able to get any CB histrionicus or lehmanni's, and I have serious moral issues with bringing back WC illegal animals and I never did, and never would do this. Granted, I have my doubts about most frogs in the hobby today, as I would guess that somewhere along the line much of the CB stuff we have available to us is a product of smuggling in one form or another - from the painfully obvious methods to the scarcely legitimized 'farms' in Panama or WC animals coming in on papers from Suriname that were actually collected in French Guiana or Brazil - Or more recently WC azureus and leucs being 'legally' exported from Guyana. It is not justified, the forests are being destroyed at an incredible rate as I have born witness to in Honduras, Nicaragua, Ecuador & Peru, and something has to be done. Venezuela is actually not doing too bad, compared to other countries I've seen. My last trip this Feb was amazing, visiting Canaima and the forest is still largely intact in this part of that country. In any case, I hate to think that all we will have left in 10-20 years are a bunch of CB offspring in lineages that in most cases have at one point been smuggled in. But if this is the case, what can we do but try to get them into capable hands to at least keep the species alive in our tanks? At some point, we all have to admit we don't know how the frogs got here, but it is becoming increasingly apparent that some frogs in captivity are now totally wiped out in the wild, and what do we do then? Kill them? Not a chance. We are not justifying their eradication from the wild by breeding them, that is not possible, but at least we can do some justice to the animals that are here by keeping them alive, replicating their habitat as closely as possible so we can then at least preserve some aspects of the glorious natural world that once existed.

-Jared Wolfe

<><

20. xavier

Hola Jared,
    Bienvenido to Canadart. I am actually from Venezuela.. Canaima is truely beautiful 'National Park'; that is why you probably did not see the disaster being made in the jungle. South on the border between Venezuela and Brazil is where everything happens. On the search for Gold and diamonds they have washed out with water, sections of jungle so the can uncover a layer of soil that have this treasure without carrying for any animal or tree. Most of the Amazon Jungle used to be a desert thousand of years ago. There is about from 1 to 3 meters of fertile soil and under that there is sand and clay. The problem by washing this layer of fertile soil away is that nothing can grow under that layer because is have absolutely no nutrients for anything to grow. IT CAN'T BE TREE PLANTED. Both Venezuelans and Brazilians are the ones to be blame for this. They pay lots of money to the Government to buy permits to search for gold and diamonds. Many also do it illegaly.

Cheer

Xavier

Social Sharing