Dart Frogs Illegal in Alberta

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by pinkjello, Dec 12, 2014.

1. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

looks like a few people in Alberta may be changing their "Location" on the board

2. RCFA

RCFA Member

Any updates to this? What branch of government or contact person should we speak to about this?

3. gasjetpretzle

gasjetpretzle Member

Nothing yet that I have heard. I sent an e-mail to my MLA and so far it has seemed to go un-noticed. I spoke with th livestock manager at Big Al's and he said he spoke right to whomever is the director of fish and wildlife. He told me that F&W didn't even know they made the change. And it hasn't stoped them from selling darts in the store.

4. pinkjello

pinkjello Contributing Member

I phoned also and I never got a return phone call.

5. H2-0

H2-0 Moderator Staff Member

This sounds like something that would never realistically be enforced. It would be nice to try to get some attention on it though, maybe they would be able to get the other frogs off te illegal list.

In BC (don't know about Alberta) keeping Red-eyed Tree Frogs is illegal without a permit. It's because our native animal laws bans all frogs in the family Hylidae. I very much doubt anyone has ever been in trouble in connection to this law though.

6. Lordoftheswarms

Lordoftheswarms Member

Try saying that on edmontonreptiles.com, and keeping a straight face at the response you get.

I'm with you, I'm sure this could not be enforced. Even the F&W officials didn't know about it, and no one has approached the pet stores or the hobbyist societies about it, and no one is able to get confirmation from anyone in the government agencies.
    Some of the "Experts" in Alberta seem to think I'm dangerous/delusional for not taking this seriously, haha.

7. pinkjello

so I say we continue on as "business as usual"...especially if no one can confirm and get answers...

8. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

This is a major hindrance to us as a business. We are doing anything and everything in our power to overturn these changes to the Alberta laws. We have not had any useful information to share as of yet. If you wish to contact the political head of this issue it is Minister Fawcett at the ESRD. here is the email address esrd.minister@gov.ab.ca Maybe if enough of us contact them it will become important.

Dawn

Dawn

9. pinkjello

Hey Dawn,
    Have you been able to speak to anyone? Did you send an email?

10. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

I sent an email on Tuesday but have heard nothing back.

Dawn

11. RCFA

RCFA Member

Thanks Dawn, I'll send an email as well.

12. FwoGiZ

FwoGiZ Contributing Member

I will send an email too but I am not too diplomatic... anyhow..
    noticed american toad, bullfrogs and ffs even green frogs are in there... like wtf?
    spring peeper??!! cane toad? are they really scared of all of those/concerned that they might disappear? :p
    such a fail. someone went way out of their field of expertise eheh

13. greenoasis1

greenoasis1 Contributing Member

Well it looks like that this ban on dartfrogs in Alberta has already been passed sometime last spring...with no public input.
    From what I have heard is that the government was advised by a PR firm that dartfrogs should be banned because they are deadly and can be harmful to the public.
    Fish and wild life in Alberta didn't know of this new law until recently and now has two weeks to start enforcing this new law.
    Supposedly there is no Grandfather clause that would allow people to keep their dartfrogs that they would have owned before the law was approved.
    Which means that they will confiscate and euthanize all dartfrogs that are reported or turned into them.

There are many people working to try to understand why this law was approved without public input and why this law is so extreme with no scientific fact behind it.

People in Alberta and anywhere else in Canada.. I suggest contacting the people behind this law and voice your concern how a law like this could be passed.

14. pinkjello

This is so horrible...:(

15. freezerburn

freezerburn Member

I am wondering if mobilizing those that believe in the concept of an amphibian ark for endangered animals would be something to consider.....This is such terrible news.

dawndj likes this.
  16. pinkjello

hey Phil, where is this information posted? Im curious..I went and googled and of course there is nothing that I can see yet online. If this law has passed shouldnt it be fully accessible for looky loo'ers on the internet? I am not sure why laws are passed but never made easily accessible to everyone...

17. greenoasis1

The document page 168 http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=1997_143.cfm&leg_type=Regs&isbncln=9780779783137
    this has been posted here before with amendments from 2014 is the latest animal bylaw document that was changed sometime last spring.

This is what is written in the document:
    all poison arrow frogs
    family Dendrobatidae and Family Aromobatidae)

The Aromobatidae are a family of frogs that are the sister taxon of the Dendrobatidae the "poison dart frogs", but Aromobatidae are not poisonous as some dendrobatids are in the wild.

When people first posted the document online ..no one was really sure if it was a proposal or a passed document.
    There hasn't been a proposed document that the public would have had access to ..that I or others have been able to find (something like the Chatham-kent animal by-law proposal) that's one of the problems with this Alberta animal by-law.
    Most of the information that I posted previously was found from a few people that got in contact with people behind this animal by-law.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
  18. pinkjello

thx Phil, I saw the previous info, I was just wondering about the new info that you are talking about ..is there anything down on a document about it?

dawndj likes this.
  19. greenoasis1

There is no other document ...just the wildlife regulation document.
    The "new information" was gathered by contacting people by phone and emails.

20. ouaouaron

ouaouaron Member

Je ne comprends pas très bien tout ceci qui me paraît très compliqué...
    Mais je comprends une chose: pourquoi ne pas envoyer aux députés l'excellent article que propose le site de Understory sur la toxicité prétendue des dendrobates et des ranitomeyas...
    Ce n'est pas à moi à le faire, ces gens-là parlant anglais.
    Bernard

greenoasis1 likes this.

Social Sharing