Culturing Fruit Flies 101...

Discussion in 'Food & Feeding' started by crazy_boarder_dude, Sep 6, 2007.

1. crazy_boarder_dude

crazy_boarder_dude Contributing Member

And here it is! I've always had a copy of the recipe on a word file!

To Make approximately 2 3/4 Cups of Mixture (4-6 cultures):

Water……………………………………………………………………….2/3 Cup
    Vinegar……………………………………………………………………..2/3 Cup
    Molasses……………………………………………………………………1 Table Spoon
    Grape Juice Concentrate (Purchased Frozen in a can)…………4 Table Spoons
    Banana (peeled).…………………………………………………………...1 Whole Banana
    Corn Flakes………………………………………………………………...4 Table Spoons
    Potato Flakes……………………………………………………………….5 Table Spoons
    Brewer’s Yeast……………………………………………………………..2 Table Spoons
    Pack of Activated Baking Yeast

Note: Blend the corn flakes before measuring them to ensure proper amounts are measured.

Instructions
    1. First peel and mash the banana in a cup.

2. Then pour the water, vinegar, grape juice concentrate and mashed banana into a pot, and stir it so it gets mixed up.

3. Next pour in the molasses but insure you stir while pouring it in so it does not get stuck to the bottom of the pot as this will cause the molasses to burn

4. Now boil the contents in the pot on “high” ensuring you stir it so it does not burn. Once boiled remove it from the burner and follow the next step

5. Take the Corn Flakes, Potato Flake, and Brewer’s yeast and pour them into a bowl and mix them up

6. Once you have them mixed up you can slowly pour them into the pot which already has the liquid ingredients in it. (keeping in mind to stir while pouring the dry ingredients in)

7. Continue to once again boil on “high” until you see the mixture to start bubbling (Its best when the mixture has the consistency of pancake batter so it is not too wet or too dry.)

8 Next cool the mixture by placing it in the fridge or freezer.

9 When it is cool enough. Take 32oz. Deli cups and pour anywhere from 1/2 inch to an 1 inch of the mixture in each cup.

10. Now take The activated baker’s yeast and sprinkle just enough so that the top of the media gets covered.

11. Then take an old 2L pop bottle and cut strips of plastic which you will place in the cultures to provide extra surface area for the Larvae to crawl into. ( I place four vertical strips roughly 1 inch wide in each culture) I know many people use coffee filters but I find these get all wet and gross and sometimes the flies tend to stick to them. The plastic does not absorb moisture leaving the cultures to appear better.

12. Cut about a 1inch square in the lid of the Deli cup and then cut a sponge that is slightly bigger than it and place the lid back onto the deli cup. This makes things easier when feeding because you just remove the sponge to get some flies instead of removing the top and getting overwhelmed by the flies.

13. Get a piece of tape and label each culture so you know when it was made

14. The next day add 150-200 flies or more if you want

15. Then in 6-9 days you should start to see the little larvae appearing (If using Melo. )

16. Then in roughly 2 weeks or earlier you should start seeing the flies coming out of their pupae (if Using Hydei)

Ceilidh Time and northern_dart like this.
  2. -RPN-

-RPN- Legendary Member

re 101

Great article Bart. I know your flies produce large numbers of flies and now I know why. I hope this article helps those with all the starting out questions. Good job...

3. Kristofer

Kristofer Member

What a great post... this should be a sticky at the top.

4. afterdark

afterdark Administrator Staff Member

Seconded!

This is extremely helpful! Thanks a ton for posting! 8)

5. crazy_boarder_dude

No Problem I finished it earlier than thought because the topic has been coming up quite a bit lately...I hope everyone finds it useful and give me a heads up if you're going to give it a try. Also any questions are welcome

6. afterdark

Re:

Made my first round of cultures using the Power Mix. I substituted corn meal for Malt O Meal and added a few extras for vitamins and etc. We'll see how it goes...thanks again for posting that recipe Bart. 8)

7. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

extremely informative let's make it a sticky
    :carl:

8. Brock

Brock Contributing Member

1-10, 10 being that rank 'old vinegary fruit smell' stench, how does this mixture rate on the SMELLY scale??

9. afterdark

Smells a little gross while you're heating it....and I also notice it when I'm cleaning out old jars to make fresh cultures. But once they are made up and settled, I don't smell a thing. :p

10. vocalion78

vocalion78 Member

Thanks i used this to make my cultures and they came out great,this morning i checked it and there full of flies, :D

11. crazy_boarder_dude

Awesome Im so happy to see people trying this recipe and seeing it works for them :D

12. Kwazarr

Kwazarr Contributing Member

This is the recipe I've gone by my whole time in this hobby and it's always worked well for me!

Ross.

13. afterdark

What happened to the recipe link?

14. crazy_boarder_dude

Hmm. I think when the site was updated in the new year it seems that the intro/home page didnt get carried through. And we just have the board index now. And since the article page is gone the link doesnt work. Hopefully someone has it saved or Mathieu is able to retrieve it as Im not sure if I still have it and if I do its on my old computer and I only have the tower no monitor so I wouldnt know how to get the article off of it.... im sure theres a way to do it

15. Kwazarr

Kwazarr Contributing Member

And here it is! I've always had a copy of the recipe on a word file!

To Make approximately 2 3/4 Cups of Mixture (4-6 cultures):

Water……………………………………………………………………….2/3 Cup
    Vinegar……………………………………………………………………..2/3 Cup
    Molasses……………………………………………………………………1 Table Spoon
    Grape Juice Concentrate (Purchased Frozen in a can)…………4 Table Spoons
    Banana (peeled).…………………………………………………………...1 Whole Banana
    Corn Flakes………………………………………………………………...4 Table Spoons
    Potato Flakes……………………………………………………………….5 Table Spoons
    Brewer’s Yeast……………………………………………………………..2 Table Spoons
    Pack of Activated Baking Yeast

Note: Blend the corn flakes before measuring them to ensure proper amounts are measured.

Instructions
    1. First peel and mash the banana in a cup.

2. Then pour the water, vinegar, grape juice concentrate and mashed banana into a pot, and stir it so it gets mixed up.

3. Next pour in the molasses but insure you stir while pouring it in so it does not get stuck to the bottom of the pot as this will cause the molasses to burn

4. Now boil the contents in the pot on “high” ensuring you stir it so it does not burn. Once boiled remove it from the burner and follow the next step

5. Take the Corn Flakes, Potato Flake, and Brewer’s yeast and pour them into a bowl and mix them up

6. Once you have them mixed up you can slowly pour them into the pot which already has the liquid ingredients in it. (keeping in mind to stir while pouring the dry ingredients in)

7. Continue to once again boil on “high” until you see the mixture to start bubbling (Its best when the mixture has the consistency of pancake batter so it is not too wet or too dry.)

8 Next cool the mixture by placing it in the fridge or freezer.

9 When it is cool enough. Take 32oz. Deli cups and pour anywhere from 1/2 inch to an 1 inch of the mixture in each cup.

10. Now take The activated baker’s yeast and sprinkle just enough so that the top of the media gets covered.

11. Then take an old 2L pop bottle and cut strips of plastic which you will place in the cultures to provide extra surface area for the Larvae to crawl into. ( I place four vertical strips roughly 1 inch wide in each culture) I know many people use coffee filters but I find these get all wet and gross and sometimes the flies tend to stick to them. The plastic does not absorb moisture leaving the cultures to appear better.

12. Cut about a 1inch square in the lid of the Deli cup and then cut a sponge that is slightly bigger than it and place the lid back onto the deli cup. This makes things easier when feeding because you just remove the sponge to get some flies instead of removing the top and getting overwhelmed by the flies.

13. Get a piece of tape and label each culture so you know when it was made

14. The next day add 150-200 flies or more if you want

15. Then in 6-9 days you should start to see the little larvae appearing (If using Hydei )

16. Then in roughly 2 weeks or earlier you should start seeing the flies coming out of their pupae (if Using Hydei)

16. Ed Holder

Ed Holder Member

I always like trying new recipes (Even though this ones been around a while) although i never have a problem with my mix, Which i took from UE page and tweaked a little. Thanks for sharing that Ross.

Ed

17. adam_anj_westcoast

adam_anj_westcoast Member

you can also add paprika and cinnomon to your cultures. They add nutritional value to your flies, helps combat mold and mites and it also make the culturs smell delicious :p. We add 1 tsb paprika and 2-3 tsb of cinnomon. in the past we have tried adding kelp and beepolin, kelp seems to promote mold and beepolin smells a bit funky. I do like the beepolin because it adds a punch on vitamins and mins.

18. mwringe

mwringe Member

Anyone following the 1 inch square hole and sponge approach for the top? Do you just have the sponge on there or do you also have other vent holes? I am trying this and notice all the larva go to the top right near the sponge and have read this may be caused by insufficient ventilation.

19. adam_anj_westcoast

adam_anj_westcoast Member

your right, vented lids are the way to go. if your in T.O. Grant sells them, We order ours from the states

Social Sharing