Clay substrate for Obligates.

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by RougeCreek, Jun 1, 2017.

1. RougeCreek

RougeCreek Member

Just wondering how many of you keep your Pumilio and other obligates with clay substrate or backgrounds. I have used this method in the past for Pumilio, using a recipe from another forum. I'm currently constructing a large viv and would love to know your successes with or without the use of clay.

2. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

i have had clay background crush and kill numerous frogs. my opinion they are tough to get right

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

RougeCreek likes this.
  3. RougeCreek

RougeCreek Member

I agree clay backgrounds do not hold up in a moist environment as the clay is not kiln dried and deteriorates over time. Plus most people use the "kitty litter method". I'm mainly asking about the substrate used to assist with calcium absorption and preventing "MOODS" (mysterious obligate offspring disappearance syndrome). I have never experienced this, but have always used a clay mix substrate, until now.

4. RougeCreek

RougeCreek Member

Will using a typical ABG mix be sufficient with adequate oral vitamin / mineral supplementation?

5. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

Curious as well to see if anyone else has experience using clay backgrounds and substrates. The latest reading I've done seems to point to it being a bit of a dated husbandry practice.

Personally I am not using anything clay based for my pumilio except for leca drainage which is unlikely to have any benefits at all.

RougeCreek likes this.
  6. afterdark

afterdark Administrator Staff Member

I've experimented with clay. Backgrounds tend to turn to mush and slide. I had one that lasted a few years - I think that tank went to @Vincetomeya a couple of years ago.

RougeCreek likes this.
  7. Vincetomeya

Vincetomeya Member

When I transferred frogs from the tank I restuck and compacted the clay back to the tank. But from then on it's been really cool. It's actually owned by a good friend of mine, and the growth is awesome on it. It's housing leucs now though.

RougeCreek and afterdark like this.

Social Sharing