CDFR-Canadian Dart Frog Registry

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by TropicalJewels, Jul 20, 2007.

1. crazy_boarder_dude

crazy_boarder_dude Contributing Member

hmm photo isnt showing. Did i hear something about no more of these annoying bot posts? :eek: That'd be awesome!

2. MartyA

MartyA Contributing Member

I remember posting on Perrys old thread about this topic but I cant seem to find it to see what I said.

I think the main reason I dont post my frogs anywhere is because unless I am breeding them, there is no reason for other people to know I have them. I could easily list only the frogs I have that are common (ie my Leucs) but is this really making a difference? I dont see how having other people know I own a very common frog being significant. If I post a rare frog I have that no one else in Canada is working with, does this really help the hobby or the species in question? Maybe what im trying to say is, as a hobbiest I enjoy my frogs for myself and not for posting them as bragging rights in a community. Also the turn over in this hobby kindof ruins the whole idea of keeping record of who has what. I think the average length a person keeps dart frogs is less than two years.

As for a paper trail, there only needs to be one paper trail into Canada to make that whole species legal. Knowing who imported the frog doesnt really make a difference because as far as I remember CITES keeps their own record of what is legal (ie once legaly imported) and what isnt.

BTW Lehmani were once legally imported, all of the original stock have most likely died off makeing any of the ones now in the hobby most likely illegally brought in but not necessairly illegal.

3. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

I know as for legal paper trail yes Cites keeps their own records. As for us well I have bought/traded frogs with other people and have no paper trail. All the frogs I got from the Maro Petri collection has no paper trail but I know some of the rarer frogs like some Pumilio's, Fantasticus, and the Standard Lamasi he got from Europe. I only know this because I asked him how much they costed him and he said xxx amount of Euro's. I think it is best if you want a paper trail just make it who's line it is from as there aren't too many big breeders here and most people get their frogs from us.

I also see that a lot of people only stay in the hobby for a yr. or so as I see frogs up for sale that I sold less than 1 yr. before. There are not many people like Mark and myself that have been doing this for 17+ yrs.

Also as for what people have:

I tried this way back at the origins of Canadart under Darts asking everyone to list what they have in their collections. If you go back several people listed but it seemed to go over like a lead balloon. :cry:

I also know several people that have some rare Pum.'s that are very reclusive and don't want to be bothered or have people know what they have. They got some really nice pum.'s when Mirdo's brought in a bunch of them.

I think what Marty said was right when we have stuff available we will post it here and probably on Dendroboard.

I know right now interest is low as I posted Rare darts available this fall for the first time as far as I know in Canada and what 47 views and no responses. We are like 20+ yrs. behind the US in this as people here all want the rare frogs but nobody is willing to pay more than 50-80 for a frog that costs breeders like myself upto 125-175 for frogs like Fantasticus (standard), Lamasi, Macheco, etc.....

Well that is my ranting 2 cents worth.

Best.
    Ron Jung at RAINFOREST DESIGNS UNLTD.

4. Tsunami

Tsunami Contributing Member

It's great to have the opinion of all of you.
    Since I'm new to the scene, I was just trying to help out.
    From what I see, it is not such a necessity or seen as a useful tool to the community.

I think I might just wait a little longer, get my frogs and see if it lasts more than two years. If it does, I will re open the subject of the registry.

I'm still available if someone wants some help for website design, logo...

By the way, for you curious guys, here is the new link to the web template I was designing.
    [​IMG]

5. syble

syble Contributing Member

Being one of the newer people, I may have a different approach to things then you guys do. I see ALOT of simularities between the dart scene and the Carnivorous plant scene in canada. The main road blocks for this hobby:
    Availability unless you happen to be living in the GTA or vancouver, they can be hard to find. I've never seen darts for sale in any pet store I've been in. I was lucky to have run into ron many years ago on a frog listserve thing, but for people not internet friendly, it's really hard to find people who sell them. And true that at pretty much any given time you can get some morph of tinc or auratus, or azureus, but for the person entering the hobby who "plans" to have one display tank in their living room or what ever and wants galactonotus or something like that, they've got little to no chance of finding a group/pair or frogletts unless their timing is great.

Stability There is this forum which I gather has been round for a bit, but lets face facts, its cluttered with spam, useless members that probably don't have frogs anymore, and it's stagnent. When new Ideas are brought forward, no one comments, or will accept them, and it seams like when someone gets the idea flowing and a couple people jump on board, someone always shoots it down. But other then this forum theres no central hub. Like no permanent website to launch other things off of, like a breeders directory, member gallery or what ever.

SecrativeEveryone has the right to their privacy by all means, but so many people bring that to a whole new level! I wonder what the motive really is behind it to be honest. By many standards I've got a pathetic collection 6 darts, only 2 species. if someone asks what I have, I'll proudly declare that too! And if in a few years I'm then running a dozen or 2 tanks with some rarer and more sought after frogs, I'll still answer the question honestly. Heck, alot of you won't even reveal what plants you have in your tanks!

FeedersDart food is a big problem here. No pet store locally stocks FF or pinheads. one or two can order them in, one place can only get ff and its about $20 for a 1.5" tube which might be able to feed a single dart for two weeks at best. The other can get them but only at certain times and there is often an amount you have to take. There is canadian feeders or something like that located in the city I live just outside of. but he's go minimum orders and you can't pick anything up from him, it's got to be shipped!!! What a huge hastel for someone who has two darts to feed!

This is not a dig at anyone! I'm only adding my 2 cents, as almost an outsider I have a differnt prospective then the people that have been here a while. And I've been through alot of this with the CP scene. Some random person would buy a vft or what ever, get the wrong directions, kill it, find us, then would end up with the standard 3 or 4 CP's mass produced, get frustrated because they were at a stalemate and couldn't advance their collection anymore, and give up. Other people were afraid to get hounded about rare plants if they listed them so they refrained. This is all things of the past, the scene has grown and evolved as all things do. There are new ideas brought to the table and the direction is ever changing to meet the societies needs.

Many people have mentioned about "whats the point of me listing my frogs" heres a better question for you, why not? ARe you embarrased by your frogs? Do you really not give a shit about the hobby? theres a million reasons like that. So then comes the "well what does it matter if I only have something common like an azureus". It's particularlly vital if your in a region that dosen't have any breeders or what have you. where I'm at, it's a 4 hour drive atleast to see ron... if my frog dies or what ever, thats a whole days travel and money for frog plus killer gas prices and wicked 401 and GTA driving.... that's kinda brutal for some one just getting started. It can help isolated people find someone closer to work with if a problem like their male died happens. A collaboration and split offspring can result, or maybe you have a trio and you can spare that extra frog, even if just for a while. It dosen't hurt to have your e-mail address and frog list out there, whats the worst that can happen, someone makes a request and you turn them down? So what, they don't have your home address. plus case scenario you connect with other froggers in your region and you help grow the hobby, if only for haveing the info out there.

Lets face it, this is yet again another hobby that is dominated by americans and europeans! you google it and good luck on finding canadian reference! but if you can have a hub where it can spread to all things dart frog in Canada, then your going somewhere. A person just needs to luck out once and then they're in canuk territory.

Sib :wink:

6. crazy_boarder_dude

7. vignolo

vignolo Member

Hi

I firmly second syble on that point. My english is not quite good so i'll make it short.

I've found my first frog on a board because they aren't available in any pet store. Knowing what's available or at least where I could find it allows me to make a better choice and not just buy what I find most quickly.

The only way I have to know what's available now is to e-mail Mark Pepper over and over again. I don't it's the good way

I do believe that the CDFR is a good idea and it worth working on it. It will be much easier to find what we're looking for even for a D. azureus or something like that. It will also help the ',in breeding'' to stay out of our hobby.

Thanks
    Pierre-Luc

8. Tsunami

WOW

Now that's what I call responding to a post.

What I mostly try to do here is shake things up. I've been looking from a "short distance" at this hobby and mostly comparing this board to all the US and French boards.

Most of what I saw is described in Syble post.

I share most of the opinions of Syble and I finally decided that CDFR would be done. The only thing that will change from the previous plan is timing.

I will first of all take a domain name, host it somewhere I already own. I will then take what's from Perry's site, put it in the previewed website and then wait to see how it goes. If all turns well, I will automate the process of subscribing frogs. I will add a board too.

Sounds good?

9. syble

syble Contributing Member

Sounds good to me ;) I can't tell you how many simularities I see between the Canadian CP scene and Dart scene. Change is by no means easy, but it's neccisary. It's important to grow this hobby that we all like! There is so much uniquely canadian about it too. Where you can get specific frogs, where you can get supplies, how to deal with inter-provincial shipping, ect... I'm too new to this hobby to even be able to realize all the areas that things differ. Make the thing up (website, forum, registry) and let it get phased into being. Let those who want to contribute to the hobby do it and those who don't don't have to. I'm willing to help in any way I can what ever that may be. I'm familliar with forums, that my strength, but I do have some web editing ability.
    Thanks,
    Sib ;)

10. Ron Jung

Ron Jung Contributing Member

11. crazy_boarder_dude

:cry: Noooooooo.

And cant wait to see that website Ron.

12. Tsunami

Don't worry, as I see it, you'll have plenty of space. I think I found something good enought to automate this things. More suprise coming.

If you need help I might help you out. Just PM me. we could set a deal

13. vignolo

vignolo Member

Hi,

By the way, if I can be of any help for the CDFR or for Canadart.org (deleting spam), let me know. I'd like to get more involve with darts.

Thanks
    Pierre-Luc

14. crazy_boarder_dude

Sounds like this is going to be great. Whole lot of involvment going on which is awesome. Ive also had an idea which ive been thinking of... Let me know what you think of it.

Another page with a map of south/central america. And when you click on a country.. it goes to a page of a that country enlarged. On the enlarged country there are stars over areas which contain dart frogs. Clicking on different stars opens a new page containing a photo/info on the frog of that location. Slowly but surely the maps could be constantly updated providing a cool/useful/informative map that would give a great visual of where the darts are located etc...

Just an idea curious if it could be done..

15. Tsunami

Crap... when I was talking about suprise, that was one of them

AS for how it will be done, I will use Google API. It is possible to use google maps and adds frog information on it.

To help I was thinking on getting the information from tropical experience for all the tinctorius and auratus. Each morph would be pinpointed on the map. Afterward, If we want more like pumilio inter, variabilis, I would need the information.

So if someone wants to help me: dendromat -at- gmail -dot- com

I will organise the query of information.

Thank you.

16. crazy_boarder_dude

Haha great minds think alike eh. I too was thinkin of using tropical experience to start off with all the data and then we'd have to slowly figure the rest out. I know theres a member from Columbia on Dendroboard.com that know alot about local of darts in that region so i could ask him.

As for helping im willing to help in any way i can. Ill shoot you an email.

Think this is such a great idea
    Bart

17. Tsunami

Thanks for helping out, I think it will be a great tool and educative too.

18. Tsunami

CDFR.ca is born

The board is up and running. I used all the mods available to prevent spam bots.

The registry should be up and running soon. It looks promising.

Bart is helping me geo locate the origins of the common species and moprhs.

It should be done by mid-september.

So... enjoy

19. Max Power

Max Power Member

Wow it looks amazing... I'm impressed!

20. vignolo

vignolo Member

Hi,

This looks fine!
    Will Canadart still be available ?

Thanks
    Pierre-Luc