CDFR-Canadian Dart Frog Registry

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by TropicalJewels, Jul 20, 2007.

1. TropicalJewels

TropicalJewels Member

I started this thread once before with no response.....
    So here goes again.

I Proposed a dart frog registry as a way to document and connect breeders and blood lines in Canada. I even spent hours on a fancy custom logo and catchy slogan.....Nothing:)

Since I will no longer have an financial interest in the CDN market I think it is safe to set this up now.

Please visit the CDFR-Canadian Dart Frog Registry page and feel free to participate! There is also a link from the homepage.

Send me a mail. Include whatever items you want to list. Choose listing by name or ID Number. Contact email address to be used in link. Webpage you want to promote. Its all free!

http://www.tropicaljewels.com/Canadian% ... gistry.htm

Best

Perry

Coming Soon...Canadian Dart frog Vender and supplies page

2. sardaukar

sardaukar Member

Perry,

if i may .... the map in the background makes it quite difficult to read! :?
    it may be better to turn in into one solid color ... white or what ever is the best for you!

antoine

3. crazy_boarder_dude

crazy_boarder_dude Contributing Member

seems like a great idea and i think it would be good to keep track of frogs.
    I believe there is a similar dart frog registry on dendroboard for the states right?

What about another column for origin of the frogs? Like if someone had frogs from mark pepper it would say mike pepper line....or ron jung line?

just a suggestion... :wink:

looks good

4. TropicalJewels

TropicalJewels Member

Thanks for the positive comments....

I made both changes that were suggested. Once the page fills up, I will create a separate page for each individual province.

I wasn't aware that they have something similar at Dendroboard. I will look to see how they are doing it.

I would have preferred to have this as a community based, member governed registry. If at some point once it is off the ground, members would like to assume the maintenance of the registry, I would be happy to relinquish control and all specific data contained therein.

Best

Perry

5. syble

syble Contributing Member

PM sent, one thought though, mabe colour shade the catagories so it's easier to follow.
    Thanks,
    Sib :wink:

6. sardaukar

sardaukar Member

Perry,
    it already looks much better :wink:
    good luck with the project!

Antoine

7. Tsunami

Tsunami Contributing Member

Some of you might know Perry is going back to USA. I think that his idea is great and that it needs to be continued.

I think this site would be the best place to host such a tool. It would be a great asset. It would help members track the origins of frogs and might bring more traffic to the site.

What do you think ?

8. TropicalJewels

TropicalJewels Member

Yes Tsunami

I agree with you totally. That was the gist of my original post about six months ago that not one person responded to. I just dont see it happening here as even the smallest suggestions seem to get passed on.....One of the reason I don't post much here anymore.....

In the meantime I have received only one email with a frog list in the last week. Surely there must be more frog owners in Canada than the three listed?

Its easy to see why the hobby is so much further ahead in other countries.

Perry

9. sardaukar

sardaukar Member

i believe it may have something to do with the local legislation!
    over here no one is interested in having an open/public listing of their frogs ... as many have some pdf they should not have or without "real and legal" papers.

i imagine it is the same in Canada and even in the US!

your idea is a good one but faces an overwhelming challenge!

antoine

10. Tsunami

There is some rules in Canada that are much like France.

There is the fact that people dont want there illegal frogs listed. But that, in Canada, according to me, might be only 5-10% of all the PDF that are in Canada. Knowing that, there would be 90% of the frogs that could be listed.

The question is why this 90% doesnt get listed. Is that, we, Canadian, don't care much about what lives in our glass tank ? Is it that we don't take it serious enough? Do we feel embarassed about how small this hobby is.

As a newcomer to this hobby, I would really enjoy seeing people get serious and organized. Individually, we are but not as a group. I think it's lacking in this Canadian version of the hobby.

Does that registry would be a definite answer to the problem? No but it would be a great head start, just like this board is

11. TropicalJewels

TropicalJewels Member

Antoine & Mathieu

Thank you for your insightful comments!

Yes I understand the hurdles involved. I still think it is a good idea.
    This is why I have offered to let people list their frogs with an anonymous name and/or email. I dont even need to know who you are......

If you have frogs that are not legal in your province or municipality, by all means don't list them!

If there does come a time when paperwork for the frogs becomes an issue and they are attempting to regulate their ownership, I dont believe a fractured unorganized group is the best face to present to them. This is why I never buy frogs unless they have valid traceable CITES paperwork.

If they see that there is a cohesive organized large group of people involved that respect these animals, then they would be more likely to
    compromise knowing the shear numbers involved.

The pet/dart Frog trade will always exist in one form or another.
    Captive breeding should always be presented as a way to prevent the decimation of the wild populations.

My Best

Perry

Mathieu,

In the vein of worrying about whether it is too small or not....
    I think that is what is holding back a lot of the froggers from listing.
    Maybe you have only 1 or 2 at present....

one important function of the registry would be to connect these people with each other. Maybe another person has the male banded leuc you have been waiting for. Users would be able to browse at their leisure and connect with each other. The designation of lineage would help keep the dart frogs in Canada strong.

It's not the size of the 'collection' that matters....
    it's the passion for the hobby and the pleasure you, and those you choose to share it with that counts!

Sharing grows the hobby!

12. crazy_boarder_dude

crazy_boarder_dude Contributing Member

Amen to that I think that't what is most important...

Ive only got one species and i submitted :oops: but there will be more to come :lol:

13. Tsunami

Since I would like to push even further the idea of the registry and promote it to every hobbyist, I made a plan to take where Perry left it.

Those are the things that needs to be done.

1-Host it somewhere else
    2-Find a domain name for it (10$/year's not gonna kill me)
    3-Find a way to create a self-maintained registry (user-updated database)
    4-Promote it to every single hobbyist.

The first two should not be a problem, the third one is not done. For the fourth, time will help.

If anyone is willing to take some time to help me find a way to create the database or know a script that could do the work, feel free to PM me.

By the way, I had some spare time to design this website header. What do you think

[​IMG]

Don't take the noise in consideration, it's only a copy protection

14. Max Power

Max Power Member

The header looks great! The only problem is the species of frog... it should be a frog that Canadians can actually get their hands on.

15. Christian

Christian Member

If this is the new sign... I will register... my frogs

16. TropicalJewels

TropicalJewels Member

LOL Christian

I could have made a sign if thats all it takes for you!

P

17. Tsunami

You are right and this is the most suitable pattern I found. Many species are represented. Auratus, leucomelas, citronnella, Mantella madagascariensis, pulchra just to name a few.Obviously, there could be some "illegal" frogs represented such as lehmanni.

To create this, I used a banded leucomelas.

Oui Christian, ce devrait ?tre le nouveau logo si ?a convient ? la majorit? et si je r?ussis ? concr?tiser tout ?a. Alors pr?pare toi ? lister toutes tes grenouilles.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Yes, it should be the new logo if the majority accept it and if I find a way to automated the process of the registry. So get ready to put all your frog on the list

18. syble

syble Contributing Member

Ok I'm rather new to this hobby, only have a handfull of frogs and been doing it less then a year. So for people in my boat that don't know any better, what are the illigal frogs and the safe ones? What makes the that way?
    Sib :wink:

19. Christian

Christian Member

I will prepare a list, this will not be long...

Je vais pr?parer la liste cela ne vas pas ?tre long...

20. Tsunami

Website

I've been working a bit on a website template and I was wondering what was the general idea.

[​IMG]

I wonder if we just could merge the forum and the registry in the same place.

We could archive the old version, transfer all the GOOD users and then build a new board around phpbb3. That way, we would reduce the risk of "pills ads" and "enlarging stuff"

What do you think?

N.B I will have to change this frog cuz the picture used its copywritten. If somebody has a hi-res picture PM me, I would need it

Social Sharing