Carpet Moss & Low Growers

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by harisaurus, Mar 20, 2016.

1. harisaurus

harisaurus Member

Hiyya,

Looking for carpet moss or whatever else you can suggest to get a carpet like effect on a few branches and substrate floor in my viv. I'm in Vaughan, Ontario and willing to pay for shipping but would love something close by.

Cheers

2. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

GreenOasis on the board has a moss spread that everyone raves about. It works really well

3. harisaurus

harisaurus Member

Yeah already got in touch with him to see if he has some available - appreciate the suggestion nonetheless!

4. AbraxasComplex

AbraxasComplex Member

Understory enterprises has two species I quite like. So far after a few months the carpet moss tends to stretch upward even when light is intense in my enclosures, but the feather moss stays closer to the substrate.

Also what I did with the moss spread from GreenOasis is remove the low growers and liverworts that I grew in a separate container with the spreads and placed them in my vivariums. I wanted to avoid some of the tall growers that existed in that spread. Great variety, but not all my aesthetic.

Another choice is to wait a couple months for when the Asiatic Green order comes in. A lot of us ordered mosses. We have no idea how much we'll get of how great they'll work, bit perhaps there will be extras people want to part with.

TJ_Burton likes this.
  5. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

We have been experimenting with a few aquarium plants with great success. I'll post some photos later. They look awesome.

Dawn

6. AbraxasComplex

AbraxasComplex Member

Most aquatic mosses are originally terrestrial. However once they've adapted to their more marginal/aquatic form it's quite taxing to have them revert back. I'd love to see what you've done. I've only managed with a few aquatic fissidens, liverworts, and Christmas moss, but these are still quite close to water features or on drip walls.

7. harisaurus

harisaurus Member

Would love to see some of your pictures!

This helps a bunch - thanks so much. Hoping to be able to pick up some moss from them at the expo this weekend.

8. Carlos

Carlos Contributing Member

I don't believe understory will be at the expo this weekend.

9. harisaurus

harisaurus Member

Ahhhh :( Hopefully they reply to my message and I can get some shipped!

10. Carlos

Carlos Contributing Member

I know they will be at the April expo

11. dawndj

dawndj Contributing Member

Here are some of the plants that are sold as aquarium plants that we have successfully converted to a terrestrial form.

Attached Files:

12. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

They will reply typically within 24 hours :)

13. mystah

mystah Legendary Member

@dawndj can you list what plants these are?

14. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

+1 list of each one please :D

15. harisaurus

harisaurus Member

hahaha me too!

16. AbraxasComplex

AbraxasComplex Member

Most bacopa, hygro, crypt, anubias, ferns, swords, and mosses in the aquarium trade are terrestrial/bog plants with marginal stages. Best thing to do if you see a plant you like in a petstore Google the scientific name and "emersed". A lot of the Tropica plants (ones in black baskets) or 1-2-Grow cups are grown hydroponically (covered to have nearly 100% humidity though) and are easier to switch over as they have a water vascular system in their leaves with more developed stem structure and support. The longer they stay at the petstore, the harder it is to adapt them to your marginal areas in your vivs. Most have lovely flowers (bacopa and hygro tend to be purple) and will readily spread and flower quite often. Give it a go; you just need to be patient and be heavy handed with your mister for a few weeks.

17. harisaurus

harisaurus Member

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions.

I had bought a big pot of baby tears from a plant shop and i don't think the light was close/strong enough - half is dying, the other half is growing vertically and not at all laterally.

Understory got back and won't have anything available to sell until the April expo due to such a high demand and exhaustion of their supply. I've definitely seen the 1-2-grow cups at my pet store, so I might try those out. Would a submersed anubias transition to emersed or would it die off? Also I've seen pet stores sometimes carry submersed moss attached to wooden pieces - would these work fine or would I need to spefically look for the emersed kind?

18. AbraxasComplex

AbraxasComplex Member

Anubias I find is easiest to transition and will respond well in low to even high light, though the pay off takes longer with the slow growth. Just always remember that the rhizomes/roots cannot be buried in substrate or it will rot out. You may see leaves burn and fall off from increased light intensity, but new ones should grow in as long as it is kept moist and misted regularly until the transition is complete. As for the mosses you could give them a go, however when it is attached to the wood or rock it may end up being harder to transition than on moist substrate. The key is to keep them as moist and hydrated as possible until new growth appears and then you gradually decrease your avid, direct misting habits slowly.

One way people do transition them is to also set up an emersed tank as a mist chamber with next to no circulation, high humidity, and high light. Wet substrate such as medium grain gravel and clear plastic wrap over a tank is usually the easiest way.

Social Sharing