Featured BUILD JOURNAL - Custom In-Wall Vivarium

Discussion in 'Construction & Parts' started by ulyssis, May 10, 2016.

1. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Hey guys, It's been a little less than a week since I planted my first round of plants. I've been monitoring them everyday. I'm no plant expert, but I've noticed some plants are very limp when I touch them while others are firm and erect. Most of the ones that are limp are from clippings. My gut tells me they are about to die. Do I need to give them more time to get back to life or should I take some action now and try and save these before its too late? If I need to take action, what should I do to help save them?

2. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

Post photos of the plants in question. Its normal for some to go through a rough period at first but lets see which ones you are talking about.

3. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Will do. Tonite.

4. erikm

Sounds good!

5. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Here are some pics of some of the plants, I think, are not doing so well. Let me know if I should take action.

This one here wasn't doing so great the first few days. Felt limp to the touch. Now it seems to have turned the corner because today it felt a lot more healthier and firm.

[​IMG]

This vine is planted in soil and hasn't shown any improvement since planted a week ago. Looks like it's still can be saved. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

This left vine feels dry to the touch. Sometimes when I touch it the leaves fall off. Is it too late for this guy? Also, the mystery vine, to the right, in this pic feels limp and looks like it's shriveling up. I think it can be saved. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

This one feels dried out.

[​IMG]

The leaves on this orchid are nice and firm. Feels healthy to me. The vine growing out from it, however, is dried out. Is it safe if I just cut this dead part off?

[​IMG]

6. erikm

Overall I would say it looks too dry in your photos. The first plant should be fine with some time, second and third look pretty rough. 4/5 should be ok. The selaginella needs to be kept much more damp than it is I think. The orchid root is dead and can be trimmed off with clean scissors. It will grow new roots.

How often is the misting system going? While establishing a newly planted viv you will probably need to hand mist plants to make sure they are staying properly hydrated.

Also sometimes cuttings just dont make it, it happens.

vince likes this.
  7. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Cool. My schedule is set at every 3hrs for 30sec. I thought that would be too much. I guess not. Plus I haven't installed the front glass yet so I think things are drying faster than normal.

8. erikm

Oh yeah man, if you dont have front glass then you arent retaining any humidity. All of these plants need a decent relative humidity. Get that glass on!

That's definitely a lot of water. My system runs for 20 sec at 830am and 15 seconds at 3pm.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  9. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

I miscalculated the height of the front glass. I didn't take in account the thickness of the u-channel it'll be sitting in. I literally need to trim the glass by 1/8". 3/16" to be on the safe side. So I need to bring it to a glass cutting place as I don't think I can do it on my own with glass cutting tools you get from Home Depot.

That's why I've been over watering. To compensate for the lack of front glass. But I was surprised to see that even without the front glass in place, in still able to achieve a humidity of 75% with that schedule.

10. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Met Ron Jung today. Great guy. Answered all of my questions. He has an amazing selection of broms. I picked up 4 mini broms that don't get too large. Great prices too.

[​IMG]

Ron Jung and erikm like this.
  11. erikm

Ah damn that sucks.

How are you measuring humidity?

12. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Herpstat 4. I purchased the humidity sensor add on.

13. erikm

Ohh nice! I use a herpstat myself but it controls my room temp only.

Just try to get that glass on asap and I think your plants will be much happier.

14. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Planted the broms. Getting close to being completed in terms of planting. I think I want to add some epiphytic ferns. If anyone knows of anybody in the GTA that has some to sell, let me know.

Thanks for the broms, Ron!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Drew

Drew Administrator Staff Member

Regarding the Orchid in post. Don't cut the root off it still look alive at the end. Vandaceous routes can take a lot of abuse. As long as that thin string like root membrane at the center of the root is not broken the root can still live.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

16. erikm

The orchid guru has spoken! Don't cut that root :)

Drew, would you not provoke new root growth by removing that almost dead one? I have removed similar roots on my orchids and they've all had fantastic new root growth.

Not arguing, I'm a total newb with the orchids!

17. Drew

Spoken in broken frenglish on a tablet with beeping auto correct

erikm likes this.
  18. Drew

White rabbits foot fern is widely available and viv friendly

19. erikm

Drew I edited my last post with another question.

20. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

I have some rabbit foot ferns. Never knew they where epiphytic. I planted then in soil. They look like they are doing well. Any other species of ferns come to mind?

Social Sharing