Featured BUILD JOURNAL - Custom In-Wall Vivarium

Discussion in 'Construction & Parts' started by ulyssis, May 10, 2016.

1. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Construction update.

Top and bottom U-Channels installed. These two pieces is what is going to hold the front glass in and allow me to slide it open for feeding and maintenance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Playing around with some sunrise/sunset color. What do you guys think of this:

[​IMG]

3. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

RGB LED + TC420 24hr cycle test.

Hey guys I put together a quick video to show a full 24hr color lighting test. Don't worry the video is sped up to a minute long. Don't forget I have the Kessil lights as the mains during the day. They are not used in this video. Just the RGBs.

4. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Construction update.

Moss mix has been spread on the spyra. MistKing is on a schedule via the herpstat4. Kessil lights are on a day/night cycle. Let's grow some moss. Hopefully.

I never had any luck growing moss in my other vivs. I used the dry stuff because they claimed on the sites, I bought them from, that they would come back to life. Never did. Maybe my lights were too weak or not enough watering.

This time around I found a local supplier of live moss mix. My lights are pretty strong and I have the spyra to hold moisture. Let's see what happens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

greenoasis1, erikm and Jesse like this.
  5. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Well that has you up to date thus far. Any new updates will be present time. Stay tuned.

GreatScott likes this.
  6. Alpha Reptile

Alpha Reptile Member

This is one hell of a build! Thanks for sharing, what did you use to coat the paints to make it safe?

7. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

Ulyssis, already told you this but I'll say it again. The attention to detail in this build is top notch. One of the best I've seen. Really excited to see the final product.

I'm going to feature this thread. It deserves the attention!

8. Jesse

Jesse Member

Im speachless, this is soo awesome!!

9. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Arcylic paints are safe to begin with. I've used them, and seen other builders, use them to make fake rocks. They have been used in my other exo-terra tanks with no ill effects to the inhabitants. This time around I added a clear matte layer of protection to aid in longevity. I'm just thinking ahead. My other builds using the acrylic paints have showed no signs of deterioration. I purchased the clear coat from michaels. I forgot the name but I distinctly remember, reading on the label, that it makes this water proof. We'll see. I used them on organic hardscape pieces like the monkey pods as I found out those only last a year before breaking down in a moist environment.

10. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Awesome man. Thanks. And thanks for talking me into posting here. These replies should be more relevant than the other board since we are all in Canada. Cheers!

11. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Thanks!

12. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

BTW, I normally view this and other forums on my phone using tapatalk. This forum doesnt break the thread up in pages, making you load all the images/media in one shot. It was crashing my app at times. lol. Apologies for the use of heavy images. Other boards automatically break the thread into pages after a set amount of posts.

13. greenoasis1

greenoasis1 Contributing Member

ulyssis
    Your build looks great.
    I'm impressed with your attention to detail.
    Just one comment regarding the monkey pods and the other pod...they will rot over time..probably last only a year or so,even covered in silicone.

erikm likes this.
  14. Bernie Hale

Bernie Hale Contributing Member

Hey Ulyssis, awesome build thread. Hadn't heard from you for awhile. Glad to see you've been keeping busy! Great detail, sometimes the the technical aspects of a custom build are just as if not more enjoyable than anything else.
    What are you planning on putting in there? Looking like a thumbnail.
    Cheers.

15. TJ_Burton

TJ_Burton Contributing Member

Glad to see this build hit Canadart too! Been following on Dendroboard. Really impressive.

erikm likes this.
  16. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Hey Phil.

Ya, i found out after the fact. I'm going to let this tank grow out for 6 months and keep an eye on how the pods are doing at the same time. If they look to be rotting faster than normal, I will fake the pods with zoopoxy.

Also I sent you a PM regarding the clippings we talked about. I'm ready to pick up, if you are ready to sell.

Keep well.

17. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Thanks TJ_Burton. Your name looked familiar.

18. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Hey Bernie.

I've been busy. Over the winter, after I purchased those darts from ya, I put a hold on the frog room and was doing some renovations on the main floor of my house (not the in-wall tank). I completed those renovations and started this custom build out of excitement from the idea i had.

Frogs are doing well. The yellow terribs are my favs, they are so bold. As soon as i walk into the room they are right up on the front glass as they have learned that feeding is imminent. I have to try and scare them away as I don't want them escaping when I open the front door. The blue azerus are really shy. I see them out and about, but as soon as they see me in full view the hide to the huts. tincs are about in between. some are shy others have learned I will do no harm. all in all I am very happy with these guys.

Yes, Thumbs is what I had in mind for this tank. Imitators, more specifically. 4-6 I'm thinking. I want thumbs that are bold and arboreal.

mystah, Bernie Hale and Carlos like this.
  19. ulyssis

ulyssis Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking for plants now.

FOR THE TREE
    I want a variety of epiphytic plants to go mount on the trees. Broms, orchids and ferns. For the broms, I'm looking for ones that do not grow too big. Im not an expert in plants so hopefully broms like this exist. I plan to have 2-3 broms max in there. I would also like splashes of colors in the tank. I'm thinking the orchids can do this job.

GROUND PLANTS
    Im looking for medium to low light loving plants. The ground area in the tank has some shadowed areas due to the tree branching out.

NET POTS
    I was thinking of a creeping vine style plants for the 3 net pots I have on the background. But I can probably have some ground plants in there as well as the net pots are pretty large in diameter.

I'm open to suggestions to other ideas. I just want a lot of variety. I just want to stay away from very large broad leaf plants. I feel they cover too much viewing area.

Give me some ideas and where do you get these plants in Canada?

Thanks!

20. erikm

erikm Administrator Staff Member

I'm far from a plant expert but I'll give you some ideas based on what I've used.

Tree:

Small Neoregalia species will work great. @Ron Jung has many available right now and lives in Markham. Orchids generally have green foliage and don't flower very often. I find orchid foliage to look amazing but its far from colourful other than greens. I think your splash of colour will come from the Neo broms. See image below for 'splash of colour'.

Ground:

I know you inquired with Phil about some cuttings. Lots of plants in his cuttings package will do well in the substrate with medium-decent light. I don't know species name off hand though :p Another option is jewel orchids.

Net pots:

Ficus panama, ficus oak leaf, peperomias.

[​IMG]

Fortesque likes this.

Social Sharing