Breeding DF with other species

Discussion in 'Dart Frogs General' started by PKwan, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

I've kept it simple. I only mix one species of Dendrobates with one species of Ranitomeya. I will not mix anything that might interbreed. My upper 'canopy' consists of things like ferns and other plants that cannot support the weight of Dendrobates, but easily supports the weight of Ranitomeya. I also have lots of nooks and crannies for hiding. I feed a combination of Hydei and Melanogaster and in large quantities. Dendrobates go for the bigger flies first, and since the smaller flies climb the walls quickly Ranitomeya doesn't have to come down to feed if they don't want to. I believe the success of my tanks largely rests on the feeding I do. I feed every night, and if I don't have left over flies crawling the tanks in the morning I feed more that night. I ensure there is never competition for food. I've seen newly morphed Ranitomeya froglets climb out of the water right in front of a Dendrobates and they are ignored. Have I had any tads/froglets eaten? I don't know, perhaps I have but I have never witnessed it, and I have never had an altercation between adults of the two species. What I have on their own is Phyllobates terribilis. Those guys eat anything it seems, so I have not even attempted to see if they'd leave another frog species alone or not. I think trying to mix terribilis with anything smaller than them is borrowing trouble IMHO. :)

2. FwoGiZ

FwoGiZ Contributing Member

I've read somewhere that a terribilis have had an electric blue gecko for a meal... not sure if it's true but I've had terribilis for a long time and I can't recall them NOT trying to eat anything ;p
    I would never put them with ranis... I was considering electric blue gecko but unless they're full grown adults, I don't think that would be a good idea so I decided to give lined day gecko a try. Right now they're being monitored/quarantined before the big move so I can get used to them and understand their behavior and their personal character too. They're juvies so already big enough for a terribs not to go for them!

But yeah, it is very hard to find data about "mixing" because of how unnaccepted it is in the hobby.
    Mixing morphs isn't bad for the frog itself, we just don't want bastard frogs to get mixed in the hobby.

3. FWC1

FWC1 New Member

I have Ameerega housed with Takydromus and Neon day geckos. Everyone gets along quite well, however the Takydromus can be quite pestersome to new animals introduced to the tank.

There were some Ranitomeya in that mix, however they disappeared after a few weeks. I'm not 100% sure but I'm fairly certain the Takydromus helped reduce that population. Oops...

FwoGiZ likes this.
  4. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

I think it's great you shared your experience. People are going to continue to try mixing species, and if they can do so with some information to help them avert problems instead of stumbling about in the dark it only helps the frogs in our care. Even the experienced froggers were newbies at one time too. It's nice if a newbie can go from new to experienced with the least amount of harm or death to the animals in their care. They are most likely to do that if they can get good information along the way as they learn. :)

Dale D, highvoltagerob and FwoGiZ like this.
  5. FwoGiZ

FwoGiZ Contributing Member

I wish more people thought like us...
    We should start a movement on DB ;)

If he had said that on DB, he'd either get flamed or totally ignored from now on... whatever help he'd seek, people would ignore him or flame him.
    That being said, lizards and ranis was pushing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See I've been looking for this exact information for a while..... Like I said, I wanted to put geckos with my terribs and thought about electric blue/neon (4-6in) day geckos but that was before I read that thing about that guy with the electric blue gecko. One guy also told me it worked for him but I don't think he was housing terribs... kinda like you. So I decided to go up a bit with gold dust/lined (6-8in) day gecko but no one ever tryed it or will talk so I am kinda stressed a bit about it but here's what I'll do. Terribs are full grown and lined day geckos are juvies so at this point, there isn't a chance the gecko could harm the frogs... hell they're scared of med sized crickets while the terribs have a hard time but will try hard and eat them on sight! ;)
    It will take at least over a year before the geckos gets to a size and I am thinking by that time, they'll be like "oh hey those are the yellow mint orange sour frog! I'll leave em alone cause it numbs my tongue when I taste em!" hopefully... ahaha

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    brayden likes this.
  6. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

I agree that lizards and ranis was pushing it but I'm glad he posted his experience so that someone else will think twice :). But there's also a good reason I am not on DB- we should be able to ask things or share experiences without the fear of being flamed or ignored and I give kudos to the folks at Canadart for giving us just such a place :). I likely would have had more problems with mixing my tanks if the people I spoke to years ago about the idea treated me like a pariah for even asking about the possibility.
    Keep us posted on the day geckos and terribs, if it works out it would be a lovely mix to have :)

Social Sharing