Another Waterfall Vivarium Build

Discussion in 'Vivarium General' started by MT-ED, Feb 2, 2018.

1. MT-ED

MT-ED New Member

Just picked up the tank for my first expedition into Dart Frog keeping. It's a 24" X 12" "Extra High", in other words 24 " tall. I had a hole drilled in the bottom for a half-inch bulkhead fitting. This will allow drainage of excess water from under the soil base. Also got a 90 gph Aquascape pump to run the planned water-fall leading into a small pool area.

Mocked up the pump and piping this afternoon. The pump will sit in a closed chamber. Water will enter via the black filtration sponge (this still needs to be cut down in size). The waterfall and water area will be separated from the land area by sections of glass siliconed in place, lined with smooth black pebbles from the hobby section at Dollarama (buy there, not Michaels). These will be held in place by black silicon. I'm probably getting smaller black polished stones from Kim's Nature to graduate the pebble sizes down to black aquarium gravel in the bottom of the water area. This will stop the land area getting over-saturated by direct contact with the water. I intend to build a lid to the filter chamber for ease of servicing the pump. It will be disguised like the land area and just lift off.

This will be a fairly stretched out build schedule. Here's a couple of photos to show what I've done today. I am going to mock up the glass pieces over the weekend in cardboard so a friend can cut the component pieces for me. Next stage will be siliconing in all the glass pieces, running beads on all joins and then water-tightness testing once cured. IMG_8915 (Copy).JPG IMG_8914 (Copy).JPG

2. MT-ED

MT-ED New Member

Mock up of the waterfall, pool area and pump/filter chamber in cardboard. It all looks very geometric and hard at present, but will be softened up with other decor as the build progresses. The pool will be quite shallow as gravel will bring the floor level up. The glass will be 3.25 inches high. Height was really determined by the depth needed to keep the small pump submerged.

IMG_8920 (Copy).JPG IMG_8921 (Copy).JPG IMG_8922 (Copy).JPG

A friend is going to cut the glass pieces for me. Hopefully, I will get them this week.

Social Sharing