Acrylic Viv Build

Discussion in 'Construction & Parts' started by Brandon B, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Stevibii

Stevibii New Member

Hi! First I would like to say that's an awesome setup! Extremely creative! I am currently adding an acrylic top to my 18x18x24 exo terra because the screen rusts to fast with the high humidity and constant misting. I also really need to keep the humidity high for my brazilian rainbow boa. Can you tell me what size drill bit you used to drill the holes for the mistking. I am dying to know! Thanks so much!

2. Brandon B

Brandon B Contributing Member

If i were you i would add a piece of glass to the top of your exo. If you put just a piece of acrylic in, it will warp with the heat from the lights.
    I would just go to crystal glass and get a piece of glass cut, then go to home depot and buy a $20 glass bit to drill a hole for your nozzles. That would be the best option

3. Stevibii

Stevibii New Member

Okay, what if the lights that I am using don't emit any heat? I have 2 current USA led plus lights on the way. Do you still think I should use glass or acrylic? Which one would be cheaper? Oh and I haven't purchased the mistking yet so I have no idea what size drill bit to get, but I would like to get the holes drilled before. Any ideas on what size?

4. Brandon B

I think for what you are doing glass would probably be the better option. And i will check the bit size for you tomorrow. Also it is very easy to drill holes in glass by your self, just need to proper bit and a drill

dawndj likes this.
  5. highvoltagerob

highvoltagerob Member

Also, it's not heat from lights that causes the warping. It's the difference in humidity. The side that is in the tank will swell from the high humidity, the side that is not in the tank doesn't swell at the same time and this causes the warping/ twisting. Using glass is the proper way to go, it just saves future problems:)

dawndj likes this.
  6. highvoltagerob

highvoltagerob Member

Also, it's not heat from lights that causes the warping. It's the difference in humidity. The side that is in the tank will swell from the high humidity, the side that is not in the tank doesn't swell at the same time and this causes the warping/ twisting. Using glass is the proper way to go, it just saves future problems:)

7. Bernie Hale

Bernie Hale Contributing Member

5/8 bit

Bernie

8. Brandon B

Thanks, Bernie.
    That is the correct size but you need for a mistaking nozzle. Home depot sells a glass bit that size for about $20

9. Stevibii

Stevibii New Member

Thank you so much for all the great advice guys! And thanks Bernie for the correct drill bit size. What a way to welcome the new guys in!

Steve

Social Sharing